Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crazy gauges and cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Crazy gauges and cold weather

Ok I know some or most of you fine folks have had this problem with the gauges going nuts. Mine started last winter. Did not chase it since it wasnt bad. And the P1698 it came with I did not mind since the XJ ran great. This summer did not do it once. This winter it came back and has been really bad so decided to dive into it.
When I leave for work it acts up a half hour later. Ive done the TSB, smeared dielectric grease on the pins and checked every possible ground. Well the temp here in Illinois went up to 35* today..... For the past 2 days its been normal. Is it possible I have a circuit board problem in the PCM or cluster? The PCM is pretty muddy. I'm about to crack open the cluster and PCM to look for any cold solder joints or anything abnormal. So far its temp related. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default P1698

I just got this Grand Cherokee today for my daughter, when I got home the dash went crazy, looked like a Blinking Christmas Tree. I do not think it is weather related, I live in Florida and it is about 80%. This happened to my Volvo XC70, I had to change the dash, and later I found out it was a Motorola Chip which over heats. Ihave to find out more about this one. We have the same Problem.