Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

crazy electric problem----dome light/radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default crazy electric problem----dome light/radio

92 cherokee, 4.0 sport. only use it at the deer camp now, but has always run good with few problems. this week end, i noticed the dome light was not working. i always disconnect the battery when i leave and when i hook it back up, i look at the dome light to be sure it's a hot battery. well it was hot and the ol girl started up as usual, but after i got the radio retuned and on my local station, i killed the engine. later when i cranked it back up, the dome light was off and the radio was reset to am again. reset radio and killed it again. every time i turn off the engine, i have to rest the radio. dome light fuse was blown, replace it, everything fine, radio was ok after killing engine. ran it for about 10 min. and killed it, repeat the process of blown fuse and radio. what could be shorting out that would effect both the dome light and radio. radio still plays even when dome light fuse is blown. i can live without the dome light, but i'm afraid this will lead to smoke, stink and stranded in the woods.