Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cranky girlfriend needs help...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default cranky girlfriend needs help...

Well my girls 98XJ is having some issues with the driver door lock, driver window, hatch door won't open, and the electric door locks sometimes work..

The driver door lock doesn't work from the inside or with the power lock, it works from the outside if I lock it manually with a key, the interior lock is stuck halfway and won't move either way.. See picture. If I pull the door panel off and move it around the lock works, but I can't figure out why.

The driver window randomly works and then does not? If it doesn't work I can hit the lower part of the door panel and then it works. Not sure the cause of that?

The hatch door just doesn't open, you can lock and unlock it, but it won't open. Handle pulls but it's stuck.

The electric locks sometimes work and sometimes don't.. If they don't work then I can hear a click from the front passenger door?

I have pulled all the door panels off and greased all the rods and connections so they move seemingly freely.

I know this is a lot but all help is awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails cranky girlfriend needs help...-image-265304792.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
Well my girls 98XJ is having some issues with the driver door lock, driver window, hatch door won't open, and the electric door locks sometimes work..

The driver door lock doesn't work from the inside or with the power lock, it works from the outside if I lock it manually with a key, the interior lock is stuck halfway and won't move either way.. See picture. If I pull the door panel off and move it around the lock works, but I can't figure out why.

The driver window randomly works and then does not? If it doesn't work I can hit the lower part of the door panel and then it works. Not sure the cause of that?

The hatch door just doesn't open, you can lock and unlock it, but it won't open. Handle pulls but it's stuck.

The electric locks sometimes work and sometimes don't.. If they don't work then I can hear a click from the front passenger door?

I have pulled all the door panels off and greased all the rods and connections so they move seemingly freely.

I know this is a lot but all help is awesome!!
Trying to find it but Cruiser had a response last week that showed the fix for this beyond lubing the rods.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Trying to find it but Cruiser had a response last week that showed the fix for this beyond lubing the rods.
yeah I've searched online and can't find anything past lubing them..
Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

The hatch is an easy fix if the problem is the same mine was. Basically you take the panel off and you need to move a little clip thing up farther on the rod it lives on. Sorry that is vague but it's pretty easy to see when you take it apart

The windows and electric locks all sound like wiring issues to me. Better get some wiring diagrams, a multimeter and a 30 rack for those.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
The hatch is an easy fix if the problem is the same mine was. Basically you take the panel off and you need to move a little clip thing up farther on the rod it lives on. Sorry that is vague but it's pretty easy to see when you take it apart The windows and electric locks all sound like wiring issues to me. Better get some wiring diagrams, a multimeter and a 30 rack for those.
okay, any head way for me to start to look through wiring? I guess any obvious places to look?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

okay, any head way for me to start to look through wiring? I guess any obvious places to look?
A very common place for wires to wear down is in the door jambs, but judging from your description I'm not sure if that fits. Still worth checking, atleast on the driver's side for the window.

For the power locks, do you have a key fob? Do none of the inside buttons work when the locks aren't working?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

A very common place for wires to wear down is in the door jambs, but judging from your description I'm not sure if that fits. Still worth checking, atleast on the driver's side for the window. For the power locks, do you have a key fob? Do none of the inside buttons work when the locks aren't working?
yes she has a key fob but I've never tried that, she keeps it. And yes sir, when the drivers lock button doesn't work, neither does the passenger
Old 05-28-2015, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

yes she has a key fob but I've never tried that, she keeps it. And yes sir, when the drivers lock button doesn't work, neither does the passenger
So use this evidence as hints. The buttons work, but you need to trace them back to where they are connected somehow and find the problem there. That's where the wiring diagrams and beer come in.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

So use this evidence as hints. The buttons work, but you need to trace them back to where they are connected somehow and find the problem there. That's where the wiring diagrams and beer come in.
okay I will today! Any clues on the driver door lock that isn't working from the Inside?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

I was going to respond by saying there is no helping a cranky woman but realized the thread was about a jeep.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Pull the inside door panels and check all the linkage, wiring connections, grounds making sure that all are in good shape is the only way I know of.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

okay I will today! Any clues on the driver door lock that isn't working from the Inside?
Eh not really. That sounds mechanical to me, so short of lubing the linkage I don't have much for you.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Eh not really. That sounds mechanical to me, so short of lubing the linkage I don't have much for you.
aright, thanks. Already lubed the hell out of it
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ArcticXJ; 06-25-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old 05-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 and 2001

I would check to see if there is a solenoid for the locking mechanism and I'd also try switching the ac condenser relay in the pdc with one of the other ones just see if anything changes I've been doing a bunch of electrical on mine and from what I've learned a lot of stuff runs through that circuit I've replaced that relay and my power locks went from not working at all to working 100% , the hatch is super easy and really common the guy from earlier was spot on with that. There grip thing on the rod of the handle that needs pushed up and I'd also recommend a zip tie on it.. You have to pull the trimming off the hatch from the inside to get to it.. It's really easy just tedious.. If you can't get it to open to fix park downward on hill and keep trying it helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cranky girlfriend needs help...