Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cranks Over, but No Start!!! ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Talking Cranks Over, but No Start!!! ??

Guys, my jeeps engine bracket broke on the passenger side about a month ago and after ordering and waiting on custom fabricated mounting brackets, I finally got to working on my jeep today and finishing the relacement brackets. As soon as everything was rewired and put back together, I went to fire her up but to no luck. It turns over fine, and has new plugs. I cant hear the fuel pump turning on but there is fuel in the tank. Afetr sitting a month, any suggestions as to what may be the cause and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

recheck wiring make sure its all good
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Re-check wiring... CHECK! haha
Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMagic97XJ
I cant hear the fuel pump turning on
Seems an appropriate place to start then. Is there power @ the fuel pump connector? Fuel pump relay?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Well just had a similar experience, turn over fine, fuel pump up to pressure, 5 volt test ok, coil ok, etc, etc, etc, Found no ground to the injectors to turn them on, got new cpm on joy, Grrrrrrrr, towed to dealer had for 4 days and no joy, then 'the old guy' came back from vacation said he remembered that in the late 90's Chrysler had engine shut down module in the system and they are not located where the book says they are. It is located under the battery under some kind of canster bolted to the fender. When it goes bad the vehicle thinks it has been stolen and will not turn on the injectors to let the engine run. The maintenance book said that this module was located under the dash but 'the old guy' said it was never there on the 96-98 models.
Took my brother 3 months to fin the problem. The part was free from jeep just programing and install charges, has to be done by the dealer because of the programing according to our dealer, hopes that helps
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Well just had a similar experience, turn over fine, fuel pump up to pressure, 5 volt test ok, coil ok, etc, etc, etc, Found no ground to the injectors to turn them on, got new cpm on joy, Grrrrrrrr, towed to dealer had for 4 days and no joy, then 'the old guy' came back from vacation said he remembered that in the late 90's Chrysler had engine shut down module in the system and they are not located where the book says they are. It is located under the battery under some kind of canster bolted to the fender. When it goes bad the vehicle thinks it has been stolen and will not turn on the injectors to let the engine run. The maintenance book said that this module was located under the dash but 'the old guy' said it was never there on the 96-98 models.
Took my brother 3 months to fin the problem. The part was free from jeep just programing and install charges, has to be done by the dealer because of the programing according to our dealer, hopes that helps
Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Sorry about the double post!!!!