Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cranks/No Start after pulling engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cranks/No Start after pulling engine

Pulled engine to replace freeze plugs in bellhousing, figured I might as well pull the whole engine to do the rest of the plugs, engine ran great besides coolant leak before engine pull. Put everything back together, now engine cranks normally, starter engages regularly but won't spark. I pulled off the distributor and reinstalled using the 11 and 1 alignment. I used the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to find TDC. Do you need to sometimes rotate the engine over twice to reach TDC or is the mark correct always? I didn't verify that piston was physically at the top of the stroke. I'm guessing I messed up something with the distributor because everything else remained static. Would distributor set wrong create this situation?

Crank sensor is newish and mopar.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

This happens all the time - the distributor is pulled and then folks get a crank no start condition upon re-installation. I'd bet money that you have the distributor incorrectly indexed.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by IrishBeatdown
Pulled engine to replace freeze plugs in bellhousing, figured I might as well pull the whole engine to do the rest of the plugs, engine ran great besides coolant leak before engine pull. Put everything back together, now engine cranks normally, starter engages regularly but won't spark. I pulled off the distributor and reinstalled using the 11 and 1 alignment. I used the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to find TDC. Do you need to sometimes rotate the engine over twice to reach TDC or is the mark correct always? I didn't verify that piston was physically at the top of the stroke. I'm guessing I messed up something with the distributor because everything else remained static. Would distributor set wrong create this situation?

Crank sensor is newish and mopar.
Well yes, even though you may have set it up at TDC, you may have set it up at tdc of the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke. So the fix would be to take the dizzy back out and rotate again to the next time you see TDC and reinstall the dizzy.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks, was an distributor issue. If set at TDC at the wrong stroke, you get absolutely no spark whatsoever, set the distributor correctly and it works great. Great advice. Can anyone identify this plug? It's the only thing on the harness that is unaccounted for.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Think that is an under the hood light connector.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Engine: 4.0 fresh rebuild

Ralph is the winner , collect your prize.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by papablista
Ralph is the winner , collect your prize.
Where's my prize! I nailed the distributor being in wrong. I tell ya I don't get no respect. I went to a freak show last week, and the guy let me in for free!
My wife and I got a new dog, we named him Egypt. Every room he goes in he left a Pyramid.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Engine: 4.0 fresh rebuild

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Where's my prize! I nailed the distributor being in wrong. I tell ya I don't get no respect. I went to a freak show last week, and the guy let me in for free!
My wife and I got a new dog, we named him Egypt. Every room he goes in he left a Pyramid.
LoL I said Ralph not Rodney
besides the distro thing is all to common, finding where something plugs in on a Jeep , well nuff said...ah hell here is your money. [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Old 12-21-2018, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Just so everybody knows. I went for the easy layup. There is no way that I could have answered the part about the distributor. To be even more frank about what I did answer. See the little plastic piece in the wiring with the hole in it? I recognized that from my '00. And then still did not commit fully to my answer. LOL. I do that all the time because I do not want to mislead people. To much wrong info on the internet. I have these phrases. "I think", "my research seems to indicate", etc that I use. MLOL.