Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crank Sensor Question

I have a 98 Cherokee sport. I've owned it for a little over a year, but have owned them in the past. I'm well aware of the oddball stuff that happens related to electrical system.

My problem started about 1 month ago when I completely lost my cruise control function. No lights, nothing works. I figure I can live without cruise control, no worries, I don't take it on long trips often and she runs just fine otherwise.

Then two weeks ago, the belt started to squeal. Then a clunk and a whir and I check under the hood and notice the compressor pulley and clutch are a bit wobbly. Had it pulled out by a mechanic and bypassed compressor. And I figure, I can live without AC, it's almost fall, no worries.

Immediately after the repair, I notice I lose the tach and speedometer intermittently. It's driving fine, but those two will just go to zero, then return a few minutes later. I'm also fine with that, though I do feel the need to begin poking around because it's a bit of an odd one. BUT before I do...

The engine loses power while driving at around 40 mph, then regains normal function. I think I imagined it, because it happened quickly. The very next trip, same thing, then the engine dies completely. Like I had turned the key to off. I maneuver to the side of the road and she cranks right back up.

I did find 2 bad fuses, both related to the ac compressor, and replaced. I don't think anything's solved, but I have since only driven it short distances to test and the engine keeps losing power, though it's not stalled completely on those short trips.

Reading through other threads, I did search the vac hoses and they all look great. Doesn't mean it's not a leak, but I'm not brave enough to start spraying stuff at the engine.

I tested the fuel pressure and it's fine, around 46 constant and gets right up quickly without starting the engine.

There is no CEL on, but the light does work. I ran codes anyway and found nothing.

My question is - could this be a crank sensor without a CEL? Could it be a pump if the pressure is fine? Could it be related to something else that I'm not reading about or thinking of?

I've been searching for answers and haven't found anything that is exactly what I have but I'm sure this isn't unique and I've missed something.

Appreciate any help...