Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank no start, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Crank no start, PLEASE HELP!

This week has been hell on my 2001 XJ. Started on Monday with a whine that started and proceeded to get worse. Wednesday I had a buddy check it out and we thought water pump. But I commute for work and don’t have time to wrench until the weekend. So that was planned for the weekend. Then Thursday the noise got worse. Then Friday I had a new clacking noise. Checked into that and all the signs point to new timing chain, so added that to the list and planned to pick it up on the way home. THEN on my drive home my alternator died.

Skip to this morning, I replaced the alternator no problem, had my buddy come to jump me since I definitely drained the battery during the hour drive home with no alternator. Couldn’t get it to jump, thought the battery was drained too much. Took it to Autozone, got a brand new battery since mine was under warranty. Got home, nothing. Crank no start. Chugs and chugs but no spark.

Now everything I see says Crankshaft position sensor but I seriously can’t figure out how in the frack to get to the bolts holding the sensor on. Is there some easy way I’m missing. Is there a trick? I’m losing it here.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Tortuga13
This week has been hell on my 2001 XJ. Started on Monday with a whine that started and proceeded to get worse. Wednesday I had a buddy check it out and we thought water pump. But I commute for work and don’t have time to wrench until the weekend. So that was planned for the weekend. Then Thursday the noise got worse. Then Friday I had a new clacking noise. Checked into that and all the signs point to new timing chain, so added that to the list and planned to pick it up on the way home. THEN on my drive home my alternator died.

Skip to this morning, I replaced the alternator no problem, had my buddy come to jump me since I definitely drained the battery during the hour drive home with no alternator. Couldn’t get it to jump, thought the battery was drained too much. Took it to Autozone, got a brand new battery since mine was under warranty. Got home, nothing. Crank no start. Chugs and chugs but no spark.

Now everything I see says Crankshaft position sensor but I seriously can’t figure out how in the frack to get to the bolts holding the sensor on. Is there some easy way I’m missing. Is there a trick? I’m losing it here.
You can get better access if you approach it from underneath, from behind the tire. I removed my shifter linkage and found it pretty easy after that. Of all the places Jeep could have placed the CPS they chose the least accessible spot on the left side of the bell housing. BTW, it does sound like a CPS problem. You can verify it by checking to see if you have spark when cranking. You probably don't.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Finally was able to find the sensor's location, hell of a tight spot. Need to get some extensions from a buddy to try and get enough room to work with to get it off. Taking a break to watch some hockey and will make another attempt after I pick up the new part. Then if that works and my XJ finally starts again, it's on to the rest of this weekend's projects (Timing Chain, Water Pump, Clutch Fan, and I really hope to get my new steering linkage system put on to cure* my death wobble) which all need finished before I need to head to work Monday morning (70 miles from Colorado Springs to Denver). Always great when you get to relax on your day's off am I right?!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep. R&R at its finest. Tomorrow I'm replacing both front hubs. Quick and easy, fortunately.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Update: Went and picked up a new CPS this morning from Autozone. About half an hour of tight spaces and a little help from a buddy and we got the old one off and the new one on. Cranked her up and....nothing. Still no spark. I'm to the point where I can't spend anymore money just guessing what it needs so I think I'm going to have to tow it to a shop. Now looking for recommendations for good shops in the Colorado Springs area.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked your fuses? if you replaced the alternator, something could have shorted out and blew a fuse.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Tortuga13
THEN on my drive home my alternator died.
What symptoms lead you to deciding this? Knowing this might help get the bigger picture and a better diagnosis.