Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank no spark no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Exclamation Crank no spark no start

Good day everyone...i just came across this forum and i must say i am glad that I have. My Jeep Cherokee ran fine. It is a 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 l engine automatic. When it needed a radiator I installed one and now it will not start. I have checked all the fuses verified all the relays and still it will not start. I also verified the crank position sensor works perfectly. Removed it put it on another vehicle and it started it right up. Put it back on the Cherokee and made sure it was installed correctly. When I turn the ignition to the on position I get no check engine light or any other lights in my Dash not even momentarily. Except for the brake light from i believe low fluid. I have no spark coming from any spark wire and the fuel pump does not energize on its own. I checked and jumped the relay for the fuel pump and it does come on when you put a jumper across the terminals for it where the relay normally goes. I also checked for 5 volts signal on several various sensors. I do not have five volts reference voltages at either the throttle position sensor or the map sensor or the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor for the distributor. All my fuses are okay. All the relays have been verified to be good. I checked my grounds in several places and removed every one of them cleaned all surfaces with a dremel including the attachment points and reinstalled all of them. Still I do not get any Spark nor am I getting the fuel pump to come on on its own just by turning on the ignition switch. I have tried cycling the ignition switch several times to see if I could get a code but the check engine light does not come on. In the dash that is. I am at my wit's end. I would really appreciate a wiring schematic diagram specifically for this model so that I can see where the different signals for 5 volts should be coming from the computer so that I can test to see if I have a short to ground or if for any reason I have an open wire. I'm doing all the work myself. I have searched extensively for a schematic diagram for the electrical and all of the signals or values that should be coming from the computer. Unfortunately I do not have a manual right now to look through any service information. I am currently trying to obtain one. I live on st. Croix in the US Virgin Islands and have been at this for over 24 hours straight. Also the gauges and the dash seems to be working fine. The radio comes on without any problems. The wipers work. The windows are powered windows and they function just fine. That is the voltage for the battery is showing proper voltage. power door locks function just fine. The blower operates at the dash just fine. The lights work properly. I removed the fuse block under the dash and have removed and installed all fuses verifying that they are powering their respective circuits. The only thing I have not done as of yet is tear apart the dash. Also I have not separated the harness at the firewall either. If anyone can supply me and accurate schematic diagram with values on each line coming from the computer that I can test this with a key on status I would be most grateful. If anyone has any troubleshooting procedures for me to follow step-by-step that will guide me to finding this problem I would be very appreciative. I looked it up on YouTube and the only thing that comes close to it is something from scannerdanner but unfortunately they were working on a Grand Cherokee and not a regular Cherokee. It seems that the three part series for a 96 Cherokee that they worked on does not apply to mine exactly when it comes to the schematic diagram and values at various pins. I am looking forward to solving this perplexing problem.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!

Wow that is a big post and you did all your homework. Couple things I would try. First I would try swapping the ASD or auto shutdown relay with a nearby compatible relay// like the blower or something...These relays are in the half back of the engine under the fuse panel behind the battery. Second thing, and this may blow your mind..but you may have knocked loose the wire to the ignition coil..hence disabling all spark potential. Check that asap. If that is not it. you may want to replace the ignition coil. But try the first 2 things I said. Maybe you will get lucky! Good luck and post back. Hopefully a more concise post. That was quite a read!