Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cracked Head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cracked Head?

I know I have a cracked head or pretty sure. About a year ago, my oil pressure was high. I checked the oil and was overfilled. Chocolate milk oil...yikes. Couldnt afford a new car or getting the head fixed, so I used bars leak. It worked for a year.

The other day it started misfiring. Code came up shortly after...P0304...cylinder 4 misfire. Yup..milky oil.

Drained and flushed cooling system, added kseal, oil change, and replace plugs in cylinders 3 and 4. Started truck, then got misfire codes for 3 and 4 (and random misfire code).

Just did a compression check and cylinders 1,2,5 and 6 are 150. 3 and 4 are 50! Crap. lol.

So, my question is, does the cracked head cause the low compression? I know it's a typical problem on 2000 cherokees...by any chance could it be a head gasket or is it just probably the head? Not sure if the head crack causes that much loss of compression...Im not a mechanic (but owning a cherokee sure makes you learn alot).

How much for a new head? I know someone who will rebuild my engine for $1200, but I don't have it right now. How much for a new head?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

gonna have to take the head off to find out... what year is it?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by xjthor
I know I have a cracked head or pretty sure. About a year ago, my oil pressure was high. I checked the oil and was overfilled. Chocolate milk oil...yikes. Couldnt afford a new car or getting the head fixed, so I used bars leak. It worked for a year.

The other day it started misfiring. Code came up shortly after...P0304...cylinder 4 misfire. Yup..milky oil.

Drained and flushed cooling system, added kseal, oil change, and replace plugs in cylinders 3 and 4. Started truck, then got misfire codes for 3 and 4 (and random misfire code).

Just did a compression check and cylinders 1,2,5 and 6 are 150. 3 and 4 are 50! Crap. lol.

So, my question is, does the cracked head cause the low compression? I know it's a typical problem on 2000 cherokees...by any chance could it be a head gasket or is it just probably the head? Not sure if the head crack causes that much loss of compression...Im not a mechanic (but owning a cherokee sure makes you learn alot).

How much for a new head? I know someone who will rebuild my engine for $1200, but I don't have it right now. How much for a new head?

Thanks

Ive got one i can sell you...