Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cracked 0331. Rebuild or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cracked 0331. Rebuild or no?

Unexplained coolant loss. Oil is very milky and rising. Drop in oil pressure. I am exhibiting virtually all of the signs of a cracked cylinder head. I have been thinking about getting it tested or sending my oil out to check for coolant. I am pretty sure the head is cracked so I may do the latter just to assess bearing wear. My question is if the cam and bearings are shot, should I rebuild with the same engine, or would it just be cheaper to get an entire 6cyl and swap that in? Thanks everybody.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Any knocking or unusual noises? If not and you caught it in time just replace the head. If your lucky you may just have a blown head gasket . Just curious, how many miles on the old motor? Ever overheat before the milkshake?

Last edited by CrawdadSlim; 09-04-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: extras
Old 09-04-2013, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Replace the head with aftermarket one. Totally rebuild the lower end.

Cutting corners at this point only leads to misery later.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
Any knocking or unusual noises? If not and you caught it in time just replace the head. If your lucky you may just have a blown head gasket . Just curious, how many miles on the old motor? Ever overheat before the milkshake?
No. His drop in oil pressure, along with milky oil, shows the bearings are fried. He has the 0331 head, which is cracked. A $45 head gasket kit will not fix this engine.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
No. His drop in oil pressure, along with milky oil, shows the bearings are fried. He has the 0331 head, which is cracked. A $45 head gasket kit will not fix this engine.
I wish I could diagnose a vehicle without even looking at it. I gave a vauge idea to the op, not a death sentance for his motor. What affect does coolant have on an oil filter ? Do all 0331 heads crack? You never know till you try. Thanx for chiming in. Multiple feedback is good.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

He used the x-ray eyes from his avatar.

Seriously, if the contamination to the engine oil results in pressure drop and milky oil coupled with continued use of the vehicle.......rebuild/replace bottom end. This would include bearings, oil pump, pick up screen/tube, resurfaced crank(or replace).
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

ALL bearings. Like Firestorm said, cheaping out on one part will only lead to bad times at this point. Hate to say it but you really should've stopped driving it some time ago.

Another alternative is to grab a long block from another year and toss it in. Coil rail can be mounted creatively like so:

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Rebuilding the existing block is possible, and it would be safe to assume at this point you'll need to do at least that. But honestly buying a new re-manufactured engine will be cheaper and will come with a warranty. Plus you will have a lot less down time.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willys55
He used the x-ray eyes from his avatar.
......rebuild/replace bottom end. This would include bearings, oil pump, pick up screen/tube, resurfaced crank(or replace).
What about cam bearings? Wouldn't the contaminated oil/coolant oozing from the cracked head pass through the cam bearings before getting to the bottom end? Just asking.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

Originally Posted by Kalali
What about cam bearings? Wouldn't the contaminated oil/coolant oozing from the cracked head pass through the cam bearings before getting to the bottom end? Just asking.
Yup, and also the lifter bores. The lifter bores are seldom mentioned and they have the most impact on oil pressure. When the head cracks coolant puddles up and constantly flows into the lifter bores (and cam) especially the lifters closest to the crack. There are countless stories of new rebuilds with low oil pressure because the lifter bores were never checked. Now the bad news....this means a scrapped block or re-machining by a competent machine shop.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
I wish I could diagnose a vehicle without even looking at it. I gave a vauge idea to the op, not a death sentance for his motor. What affect does coolant have on an oil filter ? Do all 0331 heads crack? You never know till you try. Thanx for chiming in. Multiple feedback is good.
It is because of your "vague idea" that I "chimed" in.

I have seen countless posts like this on this forum over the 4-5 years I have been on here.

I have also had it happen to me on 2 classic Mustang engines (I bought them that way).

Based on what he posted, there is really only one diagnosis, which I summarized.

Since you are a newbie, I forgive you.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any knocking?

I would pull and replace the head. I got mine from J&C enterprises... seems nice so far. Much thicker casting.

If you caught it early you might get by with just a head swap...If its knocking, time to rebuild it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by Tony_SS
If you caught it early you might get by with just a head swap...If its knocking, time to rebuild it.
"Catching it early" is like the same day it happens, not when your oil pressure has plummeted. No way out of that without a rebuild.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Engine: 4.0L inline six

Salad I concur, I had a 0331 head crack with no oil.pressure at idle for a week some time about two weeks later I found milky oil... I immediately drained and flushed my engine. After the new head I have 18ish oil psi when hot at idle. If you catch the antifreeze in the oil soon enough and deal with it you could save yourself a ton of money!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by JeepsMyName
Salad I concur, I had a 0331 head crack with no oil.pressure at idle for a week some time about two weeks later I found milky oil... I immediately drained and flushed my engine. After the new head I have 18ish oil psi when hot at idle. If you catch the antifreeze in the oil soon enough and deal with it you could save yourself a ton of money!
I think two things could cause low oil pressure at this point.

In the poster above, the low oil pressure was likely due to the thinned oil, it was mixed with coolant. Once the coolant was no longer mixing with oil, it was not as thin and took more force to be pumped ... pressure returned.

In cases where the coolant leak has been stopped and coolant is no longer in oil and the low pressure still exists, it is then likely due to worn/damaged cam bearings.

It is easy for me to see both scenarios.

If the head, gasket, oil and filter are replaced and the pressure is still low then the cam bearings are suspect. The bad thing is if it doesn't take care of the issue, then you will need to repeat a lot of work removing the head again to get to the block and remove engine to replace cam bearings. (of course replace crank bearings and lifters as well while it is out)

Last edited by IGeeky1; 09-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Cracked 0331. Rebuild or no?