Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cowl Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Cowl Seal

I’m looking for some info on the cowl seal for my 2001 XJ.
Does anyone know a write up on how to install/remove it? Also where to get one?
I’ve found a part number (55235178AB) but when I use it on different sites I see some that say it fits a 2001 but some say it matches a 84-92 only.
Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Rboren207
I’m looking for some info on the cowl seal for my 2001 XJ.
Does anyone know a write up on how to install/remove it? Also where to get one?
I’ve found a part number (55235178AB) but when I use it on different sites I see some that say it fits a 2001 but some say it matches a 84-92 only.
Any help is appreciated!
I ran into the same problem when I got it in my head that I wanted to replace mine. I ordered a aftermarket one that said it would fit but was a totally different set up. Refusing to give up I finally found one. A Rugged Ridge/Omix-ADA one. S-55235178. Paid $19 for it. Unfortunately the site I bought it from does not have it in stock. Same exact one can be had here but the price is double.

https://www.cseoffroad.com/s55235178.html

But not to worry. Persistence pays off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-N...75.c1#viTabs_0

A Mopar one for the same price that I paid for my aftermarket one 5 years ago.
Talk about luck. LOL.
You can thank me later. MLOL.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I ran into the same problem when I got it in my head that I wanted to replace mine. I ordered a aftermarket one that said it would fit but was a totally different set up. Refusing to give up I finally found one. A Rugged Ridge/Omix-ADA one. S-55235178. Paid $19 for it. Unfortunately the site I bought it from does not have it in stock. Same exact one can be had here but the price is double.

https://www.cseoffroad.com/s55235178.html

But not to worry. Persistence pays off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-N...75.c1#viTabs_0

A Mopar one for the same price that I paid for my aftermarket one 5 years ago.
Talk about luck. LOL.
You can thank me later. MLOL.
I was honestly afraid to pull mine off to find out how it attaches for fear of not being able to source one. Thank you for this!

The previous owner had the hood resprayed and the guy that did it didn’t bother to mask off anything 🤦🏻*♂️. Much much appreciated!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Rboren207
<div style="text-align:left;"><br /><br />I was honestly afraid to pull mine off to find out how it attaches for fear of not being able to source one. Thank you for this!<br /><br />The previous owner had the hood resprayed and the guy that did it didn’t bother to mask off anything ����*♂️. Much much appreciated!</div>
No problem. One thing though. Is it just overspray or is it more painted? I ask because depending on how bad it is I can picture some of the paint coming up with the seal if he painted the cowl too. But yeah it is just double sided tape. Pull it off. Clean up the channel with some adhesive remover. Laid it out with the double sided tape still on. Noticed mine was a little short. Evened it out. Managed to cut the tape in the middle enough to start pressing down going to the outside from the middle. Worked it so it would land where I thought it should on the outside. Repeated for the other side. Thinking it was cause it was aftermarket. Betting a Mopar one would be more precise.

Last edited by Ralph77; 03-03-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Looks like it will come out without taking much if any paint. I’ve been working the old seal to be free from the paint on the cowl. Gonna try and replace it today hopefully. Thanks for the advice!