Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default A Couple of Questions

Hi, I just have a few questions about a few minor issues with my Cherokee.

About a week ago, I started my Jeep, and the airbag light remained lit on my dashboard for longer than usual, but then went off eventually. But as I was driving, the airbag light came on again, and the speedometer went down to 0mph, I was going 40mph, the airbag light went off a couple seconds later, and speedometer went back to normal, it did it a couple more times. This has happened on two separate occasions, should I have this checked out? The first time, I pulled over, turned the Jeep off, then turned it on again, and it was fine, and the second time it just went back to normal on it's own.

Another question is about the power windows. I can work all the windows from the driver panel without any problems. But sometimes my passenger cannot work their own windows. The safety switch thing is turned off. The weird thing is the passengers can work their windows if I push down on the plastic panel, I don't have to hit any of the switches, just push down on the plastic panel. I'm not sure if this means my master switch panel needs to be replaced, or just adjusted. I'm not much good at taking things apart (well, it's actually the putting it back together that is the problem ). It's not usually a problem because about 90% of the time, I'm alone in my car, but it's kind of annoying the other 10%.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin
Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all

It could be as simple as having a loose connection in that main switch panel, esp. going to the lock-out switch, or in the harness connector in the door, I know mine sometimes gets a lil lippy with me until I set it straight...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

There appears to be a loose/bad connection for your speedometer cluster.
Perhaps the DAPO (DumbA** Previous Owner) may have gotten thier fingers in there and shouldn't have.
Do you have a reputable mechanic/garage you deal with?
IF so, then i would suggest having it checked out by them/him.

Power window switch... PW switches are known for being a beotch at times. Especially the "MAIN"
There are stick/broke contact inside the switch itself.
May need to be replaced or cleaned.

Quicky cleaning: Get a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner (one with a little red tube/nozzle) With power turned OFF (Key out of ignition)
Spray some cleaner around the edges f the buttons while moving them like you were trying to move the windows. Make sure you have a rag handy and try to keep the overspray to a minimum.
Wait a few minutes then power it up and try to use the windows
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I think you would have codes thrown if your airbag light comes on. It may just need all the dash cluster connections cleaned.