Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

couple problems with my 94 Cherokee I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default couple problems with my 94 Cherokee I just bought

I'm new to the forum, but this is my second Cherokee. I had a 95 4dr, 2wd, auto. which I loved, don't know why I got rid of it. Missed it so I bought a 94, 2dr, 4wd, 4.0l, 5spd, 163k miles on it.

One thing when I bought it he told me the front drivers side wheel hub is bad and wobbles at about 45-55 mph, which i've noticed so haven't really taken it out of town. I got the new wheel hub, still have to put it on, not sure how big of a job that is, I'm guessing not too much work involved. I'm planning on soon replacing the ball joints and tie rods, and probably the u joints cuz I'm guessing they're not in good shape either.

Second thing, its making a whistling sound, and I've been searching and reading up on that to try and diagnose the problem. It makes the sound when I rev it up, whether its in neutral or i'm shifting gears. I hear it in the vehicle down by the shifter. I've tried to listen under the hood and rev it and see if I hear it there thinking maybe its a vacuum line, but don't hear it. So I'm wondering if its like what I've read about the manifold bolts loose and its exhaust noise leaking from there,or something else? Its sort of a whistling grinding sound, but it does it while its in neutral when I rev it, then goes away when its just idling. I'm sure there's other questions I have, but those are the two I'm worrying about for now, lol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cameron
Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L Power Tech I-6
Default Not too difficult

I changed my wheel hubs & U - joints bout 6 months ago. Hardest part was getting old hubs off had rusted & seized. But if you've done brakes before & have socket big enough for wheel nut its not bad. Whistlen noise your gonna have to search for but you have right idea of where vaccum lines & exhaust system. My XJ has leak in manifold (whole) doesn't whistle though but installin headers just came last week from Quadratec.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 AM

I never had all these little problems with my other jeep, but it was a company vehicle, so I'm sure it actually got in for repairs it needed. The one I have now seems to have been pretty neglected, but I still like it. As long as it gets me back and forth to work the next few months I'll be good.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Engine: HO

I'm in a similar boat as you are.. Does it whistle when you take your foot off the gas to change gears, pull up to a stoplight and then quit after a few seconds? My 94' 2dr 4wd 156K does the same thing.. Mine is the power steering pump. Sounds like a vac leak from behind the dash. Mine ahs done it for about 4-5 months.. I would fix the hub before the whistle.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM

I have the hub, just have to put it in, hopefully work on that today since it shouldn't be too cold out. It does it when I rev it, or when I'm driving and give it too much gas, doesn't do anything when I let off, which seems to be the opposite of what everyone else says. I'm either thinking exhaust manifold, or possibly hole from brake booster like what some have said
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM

well, i attempted to work on putting on the new wheel hub, but whoever had the jeep before me, waay overtightened the lugnuts, so i messed up one and can't get it off. with those metal sleeves over it, it started twisting to where i can't get the 4 way on it, or a socket on it, grrr. any advice, or just probably go buy a set of emergency lug nut removers?