Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

couple cherokee parts questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default couple cherokee parts questions..

Ok, I am moving across country and my wife will have to drive my cherokee. I have a couple things I want to get corrected before she takes it and need some advice.

Its a 1999 2DR 4.0 sport with a 4.5" rubicon express lift. brand new 32" BFG's, brakes, and complete new exhaust system. 100K miles.

what I am trying to fix is the front end wobble and loose steering, the starter takes a long time to crank, and the tie rods pop on turns.

I want to put better components in to replace the OEM's and have questions.

for the loose steering I was thinking about a rough country adjustable track bar, mine is stock and Im guessing my wobbly steering is due to the lift and the track bar not being long enough.

I also wanted to replace the tie rods with rugged ridge heavy dutry tie rods, does anyone have any experience with them?

as for the starter, the main question I had was if getting a mean green high torque starter had any benefit in a higher mileage vehicle like mine, or if it would make more sense to just get a regular starter?

thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

sounds like what I just got done with, I have a 99xj sport 2 door with 4in of lift and I was wobbling so after spending about 1 week of reading about it on here and another site I decided to replace the upper & lower control arms with rusty's parts, {$130 A pair+frt} big tubing for a smaller price than most. I also got an adjustable trac bar from rusty's {129 +frt} after a complete alinement all is good.
and now I have a tie bar coming that just happened to be on sale this week for $90+frt. So to end the story my front end is tighter than ever and now a real joy to drive at any speed.
O No I don't work for rusty's just got a good deal and and thought I would pass it on
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I just replace my tie rods with all moog parts. They are better then stock and have a lifetime warrenty. If your gonna replace the starter just go with a stock replacement but get a starter for a 98 and older starter for the xj. My buddy jhas a 99 and just did his and I found out that the 99 and up starter is like 150 bucks and the 98 and older ones is like 70 buck and the only difference is that the newer starter has a plug connector on the solenoid and the solenoid has a plug bolted to it and the older one just has a I conector. so just cut the plug off, unbolt the plug from the starter and splice it it the solenoid. He has been using his for a month with no problems.