Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Could you use XJ leafs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Could you use XJ leafs?

My buddy and I are trying to figure out how to lift his jeep.. But he is broke I had a pair of XJ leafs around with around 97k on them...could we use the leafs to make an ad aleaf
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

no.

The stock XJ leaves wont have enough bend, or thickness in them to lift the XJ (the smart guys will know the name of this) spring rate?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Year: 2001 2-door
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
no.

The stock XJ leaves wont have enough bend, or thickness in them to lift the XJ (the smart guys will know the name of this) spring rate?
I respectfully disagree.
I used a stock XJ long leaf from the junkyard to make an add-a-leaf for my existing pack. Cut the ends off, and add right below the long leaf in your pack.
Even with a well seasoned junkyard leaf, I got a solid inch out of this addition.
A good condition long leaf will most likely give a little more lift. While you are at it, add the second leaf also. Just trim a little off the rear end of it to make it slightly shorter than the existing one. I must add, I have an extended shackle, which is why I wanted to beef up my leaf packs. I think with stock shackles, you will get more lift than I did. The ride stays very nice, a little firmer.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 420blackxj
I respectfully disagree.
I used a stock XJ long leaf from the junkyard to make an add-a-leaf for my existing pack. Cut the ends off, and add right below the long leaf in your pack.
Even with a well seasoned junkyard leaf, I got a solid inch out of this addition.
A good condition long leaf will most likely give a little more lift. While you are at it, add the second leaf also. Just trim a little off the rear end of it to make it slightly shorter than the existing one. I must add, I have an extended shackle, which is why I wanted to beef up my leaf packs. I think with stock shackles, you will get more lift than I did. The ride stays very nice, a little firmer.
I respectfully agree
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

You can pick up S10 leafs for under a $100 and get anywhere from 2-4" of lift. DO a search there a thread bout junk yard parts that tells you have to get bout 3" of lift for a few hundred bucks.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM

I guess it would make sense that adding a few extra XJ leaves would increase the spring rate of the pack and give you a little more lift.

I just think that if you are going to go through the work of adding a leaf from an XJ, you can do the same thing with a set of dakota or s10 springs and get that 2-4 inch range. You have to replace ubolts and pins anyway!

Disagreement is progess, if we all agreed on everything, every single XJ in the world would be the same!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Weave two XJ spring packs together(alternating from two packs) gives you around 5" of lift. Did it to my brothers jeep couple years back, still holding up
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

I bought a couple cheap leaf springs from Summit. $231 including shipping but worry that they will lift TOO MUCH (I've heard as much as 6") so I'm going the opposite way...if they life too high for my use I mean to break them apart and swap in leafs from my original springs to lower them down.

The Summit catalog says they lift 2.5"...but I read a review online that said 6". We'll see what happens next weekend.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Year: 2001 2-door
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CAEMI
I bought a couple cheap leaf springs from Summit. $231 including shipping but worry that they will lift TOO MUCH (I've heard as much as 6") so I'm going the opposite way...if they life too high for my use I mean to break them apart and swap in leafs from my original springs to lower them down.

The Summit catalog says they lift 2.5"...but I read a review online that said 6". We'll see what happens next weekend.
Let them "condition" for awhile to let them settle before you do anything.
They might start off way over what you want, but eventually end up near the stated 2.5" or so.

My Cherokee bastard packs on the other hand haven't settled at all. Not surprising, since they were already settled by being used.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by clockwise
My buddy and I are trying to figure out how to lift his jeep.. But he is broke I had a pair of XJ leafs around with around 97k on them...could we use the leafs to make an ad aleaf
check out the new JP mag... article on doing a totally budget aal from jy parts!!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Runs

Originally Posted by Diesel
Weave two XJ spring packs together(alternating from two packs) gives you around 5" of lift. Did it to my brothers jeep couple years back, still holding up
I am looking to do the same thing. I have an extra set of xj leafs and would like to know how you weaved the 2 two packs together. Did the leafs stack on top of each other or did you cut every other leaf for it to stack correctly. Pics would be awesome but any explanation would be great to.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

look thru my build thread. I used a stock HD leaf pack and then a stock Light duty leaf pack and added the extra main leaf, and a secondary leaf. I net'd 1.5" of lift, the same ride quality and better towing capability.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by VTJeep
check out the new JP mag... article on doing a totally budget aal from jy parts!!
I went to buy this last night and the article SUCK!! The leaf pack they talk bout is a mix of 3 or 4 different leaf packs. Gonna cost alot to get it all together and its just too much work. And front springs all they say is you can use a set of coils to lift it but dont mention anythin that works well.