Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Could use some help with my A/C.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Could use some help with my A/C.....

So I've been trying to fix/get fixed my A/C on my 2000 xj on and off for about 3 years. Had it to a shop, friends, and tinkered with it myself. It will sometimes work, but not for very long

Here's what its doing now (I'm far from an ac expert, and am quick to admit it, so dont flame me for not knowing stuff!)

I hooked up the gauges and had about 30psi in low and hi. start it and of course the compressor wont even start. I bleed off the pressure to basically nothing. I add some Red Tek (134a substitute that is supposed to run on lower pressures and be better), I dont even get 6oz of the stuff in and my pressures are 30+ on low side and over 200 on high and its not blowing cold. I bleed it down to around 25 on low and 170 on high and the compressor starts cycling, still not blowing cold. The red tek is supposed to run at around 115 on high side at 100 amb. temp, but the compressor won't even run at those pressures.

Any suggestions?