Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Could use help tracking down an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Could use help tracking down an electrical problem

Electrical is not my strong suit, so I'm not exactly sure how to track down a problem like this. The Jeep is a 99 XJ

I was driving my Jeep on some fire roads when my radio starting flickering on and off a lot. It would completely lose power and shut off, then come back on and start playing again. I noticed that my courtesy lights were flickering on and off, too. It seemed like going over bumps would cause them to do this. I had even shut my Jeep off when I got to work one day, and the lights just stayed on. I could push on the side of the Jeep and shift the weight to the right side, and that would make the light go out. Once I let go and the weight evened out, the lights would come back on. This went on for a little while, and then it got worse a few days later. I would lose power to all my doors(loss of power locks, power windows, power mirrors, etc, but my speakers would still work), and my rear speakers in the roof went out and they just keep making a light feedback sound. Then a couple days later, the back windows would randomly roll themselves down, and I would have to drive home holding all the window switches in the up position to make sure they would stay closed. The only thing that was recently done to it, was I had brought it to a suspension shop to have new shackles put in. The problems started the same day I got it back, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with my problem.

Does anyone have any ideas of what would be causing this? I was thinking maybe a power wire that was grounding out, but I don't know what wire would be causing all those different things to happen, or even where that kind of wire would be located. I appreciate any help I can get.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Clean all of the chassis grounds.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

CCKen was talking about some wonky stuff last week regarding some sort of feeding back through the horn relay! (IIRC). Due to the failure of something else....I really didn't get it. You might contact him. Also just for giggles you could try pulling your horn relay and see if that changes anything. And agreed with above, if it's wonky, suspect grounds.

If they did any electric welding at that shop, I hope they took precautions...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

from various conversations with folks on here, as well as tracking down my own stuff, i would check connections at the front window switches, as well as where the wiring goes through the grommets in the front doors. (From experience) it seems that the insulation as a tendency to crack anywhere something opens/closes a lot, and you end up with wires shorting to each other or to the body.
Also, apparently there are a lot of functions tied in with the PASSENGER side window switch specifically that may not be logical (I've heard of switch problems causing rear defroster issues, replace the switch, problem solved), so anything lock/window related could be tied to that also. If memory serves, when the door opens, the courtesy switch extends and completes the ground side of the circuit, so if one of the wires to that are broken/exposed, they could be hitting the body and shorting to ground.

X2 on the welding precautions. If the welder is not properly grounded to bare metal, all sorts of stuff can end up shorted out there too.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Thanks guys, I'll have to check that stuff out as soon as the rain stops. I'll give the shop a call, too, and see if they had to weld at all on it.