Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling Fan Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cooling Fan Questions

First off, this forum has been an invaluable resource to me since picking up this pile that is my project XJ. There are so many parts that are simply missing, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to purchase and even where to buy them when I figure it out. My most recent questions are in regards to the electric fan. I've ordered a complete assembly from a junkyard, but while browsing online I've seen coolant temp fan switches. Where does this go? Appears to thread into the block...I have a sensor on the block underneath the exhaust manifold that has 2 prongs but no wiring and no plugs. Is this it, or something else entirely? Is there anything else that I could go ahead and order so that it all bolts together when the fan comes in? I'm guessing I'll need bolts, any idea where to find them/what size I'll need? I hate to be a burden, but it's the nit picky **** like this that gets old on a project.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM

After further reading I see that that is in fact the Coolant Temp Sensor, and I seem to be missing the wires that go to it. The only wires in the engine bay that are not connected to anything is a set of 2, wrapped in a light color substance that can best be described as super thin aluminum foil. They feed back into the main harness. Are these my missing coolant temp wires, or the fan power wires?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM

i dont think that there is wires going to the block at all it should all be on the radiator some the coolant will go through there and that is where most cars have the temp gauge but if it were on the engine look to where the hoses go from the radiator to the engine and if the wires are there they should be close to the thermostat. as far as parts go i would just go to the closest junk yard and take pictures of one that has all or most of the parts and take a little bag with some tools and take the bolts that you need most junk yards will just let you take small things like bolts clips and light bulbs hope this helps
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM

I would love to, but all of our yards here only like to sell complete motors/transmissions. I found an xj at one and they couldn't even figure out what they did with the radiator assembly.