Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling Fan Comes On When?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cooling Fan Comes On When?

Bought my first Cherokee (1997 4x4 classic w/ 4.0) yesterday and when I got home, the electric fan would not turn off. It ran at the 210 degree mark all the way home, and after reading other posts, I realize that this is normal. After 15 minutes I unplugged the relay and got the fan to go off, went to AutoZone and got a new relay. Now the fan will not come on. It has been below freezing and I haven't driven it far since I replaced the relay. Is it normal for the fan not to come on at all in cold weather? I assume that it has to reach a certain temp to signal the relay.

Also, now the check engine light is on. I hope that this is just a result of plugging/unpugging several relays and will correct itself after a few starts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hello..If your Jeep has the duel cooling fans the secondary one might not come on much in the cold weather (If you have the single fan then ignore this)..I know mine hardly comes on at all..As far as the check engine light you can access the computer codes by turing the key from the off to the on position 3 times in a row (Off-on-off-on-off-on) and then leaving it on and count the flashes of the check engine light to get the codes..For example the first code it will show is a 12 which would be one flash followed by a short gap then 2 flashes close together..Then there will be a longer gap between that and the next code...There should always be a 12 and 55 code at the start and end with the actual codes in between..See if you can do that and I can tell you what the codes are you have.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

One way to op-check your auxilliary electric fan is to turn your A/C or Defrosters on. Anytime your A/C pump is switched on the aux. fan will turn on. There is a temp. sending unit that tells the fan to turn on at a certain temp. I believe it is 200 or 210 degrees. Mine is like yours, though. If the A/C pump isn't working it just comes on whenever but, it always comes on when the A/C pump is used.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling

Buck, it is working fine with the AC on. I reckon the relay fixed my problem. Thanks for the tip!!

Programbo, I get a 12 42 35 55. The Haynes manual says an open or shorted condition in the auto shutdown relay circuit (probably kicked it when I was playing swap the relays). The 35 is same, but in the fan relay circuit. This is the one that I replaced. Do you think that it will reset itself, or do you know of a way to do it without getting a scanner involved?

Thanks to the both of you for all of your help!!!

Dan