Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant Tank Going HayWire!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 CYL
Angry Coolant Tank Going HayWire!

Ok, it is seeming like I am going to be posting on this forum quite often. My jeep was stored away for 2 years and now that I have it I have run into these problems if you have seen my previous threads.
This is the newest problem.

the other day me and a few friends hooked up my trailer and took our quads and dirtbikes out. My jeep was running fine and towing the trailer perfectly. We got to our destination and had a real fun time. We packed up and made it back with no problems. But as soon as a turned my engine off my friend yells that I have a major leak. I open the hood to see the coolant reservoir steaming like a kettle!!! it was literally boiling!! We poured water on it and nothing, so we kept a slight water line on it to keep it cool and with a very large monkey wrench and gloves was able to get the cap off and all the coolant evaporated into steam or what was left after the nuclear meltdown.
I thought it was just a problem because of the work my engine had to do pulling the trailer and the mixture of the heat. I let it sit overnight and this morning I added more coolant and checked for leaks. It was at first leaking from the bottom. I attempted to seal it up and then place a new clamp and it made the leak a drip. I now have this problem my reservoir seems to be constantly leaking and or boiling and steaming out. !!!

I did some research and it said that the engine oil could be a factor. I checked that and it was low, so I added that and check that off the list.

I don't know where to go from here. I am guessing air bubbles?? new radiator? What??
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a coolant pressure test done
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Go back to u r list to see what u have/have not done maintenance wise regarding all cooling system components.....how old is stuff, how long has it been, etc. Towing any load will quickly reveal lack of maintenance/weak points.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 litre 6 cylinder

What year is your cherokee?
it appears you have a pre-94/95, they have a closed cooling system that shouldn't be opened when hot, (i learned that the hard way )

now, the leak sounds like its coming from the coolant bottle, if it is try replacing the coolant bottle, they crack after a few years, i had to replace it on my dads 89

now if your jeep is a newer model, it will have an open system which is a completely different story

also try burping air out of it if it is an older model:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...BurpAirMod.htm

Last edited by Cherokee89sport; 06-24-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L 6.
It is the closed system. I too burned myself opening that cap but it was very minor . I figured that towing it would bring about problems and I need to get these all figured out before I start school again in August.

Here is just a pic that might be of help. idk.

I will check the coolant bottle but I can clearly see it leaking from the points shown.?

I will also try the burping technique!!

THANKS FOR ALL THIS HELP! FORUM IS AWESOME!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

up grade to open system get off the bottle..lol...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 PM

your welcome man!
keep us updated
Old 06-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Ok. I did the burp and it did have some air in it, it bubbled slowly then started to flow out. put it back on and refilled tank. the leak persisted. It seems as if it is getting too much pressure. I noticed it was idling fast at about 11000 when i hear it should be 7000. ??? I let it run with the cap off and it began bubble the coolant out and then after time started to cycle through. filled it again and going to see if it sucks down again or stays their? cluelessss
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gorlax
Ok. I did the burp and it did have some air in it, it bubbled slowly then started to flow out. put it back on and refilled tank. the leak persisted. It seems as if it is getting too much pressure. I noticed it was idling fast at about 11000 when i hear it should be 7000. ??? I let it run with the cap off and it began bubble the coolant out and then after time started to cycle through. filled it again and going to see if it sucks down again or stays their? cluelessss
never run it with the cap off, it is supposed to be pressurized
it sounds like you need to replace your coolant bottle
you can find them on ebay !!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM

cap on the reservoir or temp sensor?

either way I left both off!

and when I flushed my radiator a huge clog exploded out...and with that lots of gunk.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM

good, did you just flush the radiator, or the whole system?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

im pretty sure I got an extra coolant bottle I somehow aquired...pm me if your interested...good luck
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM

I flushed the whole system. someone attached a heater hose connector 'tee' so I just hooked up the garden hose to do so. I also flushed the system that was described in this link.
flushing that out till it was clear water.

basically everything is flushed and lots of gunk, mud, and flakes of some stuff came out of radiator which probably put a lot a pressure on the system. hopefully the problem!!!

I am waiting for the sun to begin to set because its 111 degrees right now to try the coolant and hopefully all goes well. and ill loosen the sender to make sure no air bubbles get up in it. then retighten as precaution! damn air bubbles.

This is prior to flushing and what not! their is no hole its just super pressure squeeezing a stream out .
for yall enjoyment I took this video for giggles.
View

Last edited by Gorlax; 06-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gorlax
I flushed the whole system. someone attached a heater hose connector 'tee' so I just hooked up the garden hose to do so. I also flushed the system that was described in this link.
flushing that out till it was clear water.

basically everything is flushed and lots of gunk, mud, and flakes of some stuff came out of radiator which probably put a lot a pressure on the system. hopefully the problem!!!

I am waiting for the sun to begin to set because its 111 degrees right now to try the coolant and hopefully all goes well. and ill loosen the sender to make sure no air bubbles get up in it. then retighten as precaution! damn air bubbles.

This is prior to flushing and what not! their is no hole its just super pressure squeeezing a stream out .
for yall enjoyment I took this video for giggles.
View
Good! Your Cherokee thanks ya!
Now from the video, it makes it look like a pressure problem, and not really a coolant bottle problem. Try runnin her now, and if she still leaks, check the bottle for leaks, check all the lines for cracks, and replace the bottle ($28 on ebay) or lines if need be. However as a precaution, since you live in Arizona, and pull trailers, I would defiantly suggest puttin in a 3 row radiator, if you havn't done so yet. And also a tranny cooler, they will both save you a ton of trouble. (I'm from TX ask me how I know haha!)
EDIT: also, i would recommend having a ratio of water to anti freeze of 60/40, water is a better coolant, antifreeze helps prevent freezes, and protects against some rust. (which in Arizona im guessin it don't get too cold!)
Best of Luck!

Last edited by Cherokee89sport; 06-25-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Yes, It seems as if their is a tinyyy tinyy crack in the coolant bottle so says my dad? after flushing it all out it isn't getting too hot but it is streaming out but definitely not tea kettle style like before. Replacing bottle. and i'll look into the 3 row radiator! It gets really damn hot! scorching weather right now! can't even leave the house till 6pm or you'll fry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Tank Going HayWire!