Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant system

Weird issue. I bought a new radiator cap because my last one failed. (Cheap one from o reilleys) all was fine for about 2 weeks. My cap started failing. (Leaks out the top under the cap when I shut off.)
Well it fried my 2 cooling fans. So I replaced those. Now the weird part. I started heating up today. Noticed I lost a lot of fluid out of my radiator. So I parked her. Had no fluid. Filled it up. Started it. Did a head gasket check, all good. But when you stand in front of the xj on the passenger side and put your hand on the grill it's super cold. And when you stand on the driver side it's blazing hot. I have a blockage. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2016, 01:10 PM

Also pulled the thermostat and it was open.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Warm water pass side cooler water drivers side...
Attached Thumbnails Coolant system-coolantsystemflow-1.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

check temperature with a IR thermometer or OBD2 scanner, don't trust the gauge...what head gasket check did you do? Did you notice any oil in the coolant during any of this ? when the jeep is cold, pop the radiator cap and look for oil swirls in the coolant.

Last edited by mikesignal; 10-16-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:30 AM

So I think I figured it all out. I replaced most of the system. Temp dropped to around 204. (Ob2 scanner) I thought it was still running a little warm. Still had one side hot and one side cool. Found out PO wired the fan harness backwards. Reversed polarity and now I'm running at a cool 190. Thanks for the pointers my friends.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by 01xjHepheep
So I think I figured it all out. I replaced most of the system. Temp dropped to around 204. (Ob2 scanner) I thought it was still running a little warm. Still had one side hot and one side cool. Found out PO wired the fan harness backwards. Reversed polarity and now I'm running at a cool 190. Thanks for the pointers my friends.
Normal for the 4.0L is 210°. If you were running at 204°, you were actually slightly below normal.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Normal for the 4.0L is 210°. If you were running at 204°, you were actually slightly below normal.[/QUOTE]

I just have 2 high flow fans on high at all times. I need to run them to toggles. At night with no ac on I'm running 190-193. I live in arizona. Cooler the better out here. Lol during the day around 100degrees it runs 207 with ac on.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 01xjHepheep
Normal for the 4.0L is 210°. If you were running at 204°, you were actually slightly below normal.

I just have 2 high flow fans on high at all times. I need to run them to toggles. At night with no ac on I'm running 190-193. I live in arizona. Cooler the better out here. Lol during the day around 100degrees it runs 207 with ac on.[/QUOTE]

No. You should run in the range of 210 regardless of conditions. That's the optimal temp for the 4.0 but it seems like you got it. 207 in 100 degrees is perfect
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not certain if there's an operating temperature for the XJ. Perhaps some manual has a op temp. range, which is a temperature measurement of the cooling system and coolant and not the engine and oil.

I have an CSF hd three row metal installed along with B&M 14,500 btu trans cooler installed inline with the radiator's trans cooler.

While on-road I'm running from around ~205 to just under 210 deg. F.

When off-road in e.g. heavy sand it creeps to 210 and higher unless I use a aux. fan over-ride switch.

OEM radiators come as standard and heavy duty. Ones labelled as max. cooling don't have an internal transmission oil cooler. Are normally used with an external transmission oil cooler for automatics.

Last edited by Anony; 10-17-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Anony
I'm not certain if there's an operating temperature for the XJ. Perhaps some manual has a op temp. range, which is a temperature measurement of the cooling system and coolant and not the engine and oil.
The factory service manual for my 2000 doesn't specify a temperature range per se, but it's not too hard to figure out. The stock thermostat is 195°. Therefore 195° would be the absolute floor of the range, since the thermostat should ensure it reaches at least that temp. Some of the diagnostics in the manual actually state you have to let the engine warm to at least 200° before conducting the test, so it stands to reason that Chrysler considered the lower end of the normal range to be at least 200°.

The operation of the electric fan should tell you what was considered the upper end of the range. On '99 and earlier, the electric fan came on at 218°. On '00 and '01 XJs, it doesn't come on until 223°. So now we know that the normal range is 200° to 218° or 223°. Call it 200° to 220° for simplicity.

So what's the normal center? That's easy. Just look at the dash on an XJ with full gauges. The XJ makes use of the "straight up" convention from race cars. "Normal" is straight up on race car gauges so that you can pay attention to the road and know with a glance at the instrument panel if something is wrong (because the needle won't be straight up). Although these are not race cars, they are drivers' cars, and straight up gauges are useful off road. Straight up (or close to it) is normal for oil pressure, voltmeter and coolant temp in a Jeep.

What's straight up on the coolant temperature gauge?

210°.

So, concluding from all the evidence available:

The normal operating range for the 4.0L is 200° to 220° with a normal center operating temp of 210°.

That doesn't mean anybody should panic if they're running at 190° or 230°, but running that far outside of normal is a sign of a potential issue. The main thing to take away from this is that if you're in that normal 200° to 220° range, there's no reason to do anything to make it run cooler. I see people installing thicker radiators, wrapping their headers, cutting hood vents, installing Flowkoolers, running 160° thermostats or no thermostats at all, trying to install springs in their lower radiator hoses, and removing their engine fans to run dual, triple or even (in one case on Facebook) quadruple push and pull fans. And then you find out that they did all this because they were running at 210° and thought they were overheating because their grandaddy's Buick ran at 185°, and there's no getting through to them.

/rant
Old 10-18-2016, 03:46 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I think you're right 210 is a good running temperature for the straight six 4.0L iron block engine. L6 engines are usually manufactured up to around 5.0L. Imo cast iron block engines are more durable under higher heat conditions than a similar size and configuration aluminium block. More likely to outlast an alum. block.

It was a number of years back I remember reading about one person who reported reaching over 400,000 miles on his 4.0L XJ. IIRC it was an original owner of a stock XJ, without any rebuilds such as to the engine, transmission, etc Only required some minor repairs and replacement of equipment that normally wears out and requires service such as the battery, alternator, etc.

When I first installed the CSF hd three row radiator I was getting obd2 readings of 195-196 deg. F when running normally on pavement. I haven't checked lately the last time checked a few months back was running around ~205 to just under 210.

Last edited by Anony; 10-18-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by extrashaky
The factory service manual for my 2000 doesn't specify a temperature range per se, but it's not too hard to figure out. The stock thermostat is 195°. Therefore 195° would be the absolute floor of the range, since the thermostat should ensure it reaches at least that temp. Some of the diagnostics in the manual actually state you have to let the engine warm to at least 200° before conducting the test, so it stands to reason that Chrysler considered the lower end of the normal range to be at least 200°.

The operation of the electric fan should tell you what was considered the upper end of the range. On '99 and earlier, the electric fan came on at 218°. On '00 and '01 XJs, it doesn't come on until 223°. So now we know that the normal range is 200° to 218° or 223°. Call it 200° to 220° for simplicity.

So what's the normal center? That's easy. Just look at the dash on an XJ with full gauges. The XJ makes use of the "straight up" convention from race cars. "Normal" is straight up on race car gauges so that you can pay attention to the road and know with a glance at the instrument panel if something is wrong (because the needle won't be straight up). Although these are not race cars, they are drivers' cars, and straight up gauges are useful off road. Straight up (or close to it) is normal for oil pressure, voltmeter and coolant temp in a Jeep.

What's straight up on the coolant temperature gauge?

210°.

So, concluding from all the evidence available:

The normal operating range for the 4.0L is 200° to 220° with a normal center operating temp of 210°.

That doesn't mean anybody should panic if they're running at 190° or 230°, but running that far outside of normal is a sign of a potential issue. The main thing to take away from this is that if you're in that normal 200° to 220° range, there's no reason to do anything to make it run cooler. I see people installing thicker radiators, wrapping their headers, cutting hood vents, installing Flowkoolers, running 160° thermostats or no thermostats at all, trying to install springs in their lower radiator hoses, and removing their engine fans to run dual, triple or even (in one case on Facebook) quadruple push and pull fans. And then you find out that they did all this because they were running at 210° and thought they were overheating because their grandaddy's Buick ran at 185°, and there's no getting through to them.

/rant

YYYESSSSSS Very well said sir
Old 10-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Thank you good sirs. I am new to the cherokees. Well heeps in general. I think I'm getting the swing of it. Just wanted to make sure I'm not just slowly grenading anything. Thanks for the help👍👍👍👍