Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant splashes in engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Coolant splashes in engine compartment

Two times so far I open the hood for some reason and there is coolant in the battery tray, splashed over the passenger side front of engine, etc. So i turn it back on let it sit for awhile and of course nothing it leaking at normal operating temps. Check it for a few days, and nothing. then a month later same thing. Could this be me refilling the coolant overflow when it looks low a month ago? This last time was when I drained and refilled radiator but it was a few days later. No overheating, and really not losing any coolant, temp is solid at no more than 210 or a little above when sitting in traffic. Unless there could be a pinhole in the upper hose or something. Could it be an air bubble, but doesn't look like it's coming from the reservoir. thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Easiest why to find out what is going on is to get a radiator pressure test. They put the pump on and pressurize the cooling system, and that will show you where the leak is if you have one.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you're checking for a leak while the engine is idling there isn't much pressure on the system. Reach over and hold the throttle linkage open a little more to raise the revs and hold it for a bit. More rpm's will increase the pressure and might reveal a leak. If the leak is near the fan it could be blowing the coolant all around the engine compartment making it real tough to locate. Like the previous poster said, a leak down test might help. Real simple to do.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

be sure your overflow hose is not cut/ has a hole in it
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks guys, the funny thing is idling the truck the fan usually dries of what is wet in about a minute.
I'm going to check everything tomorrow that I can. In my service manual, says that the original coolant had a additive that you could detect a leak with a regular blacklight and you should be able to get it at a dealer, so I'm going to give that a shot too. Would have to hunt down the pressure thingy, but I betcha my uncle has two of them.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Def check the stock coolant tank. I actually found a leak on the hose that runs across the top of your fans and into the side of the fill cap on the radiator. It was leaking down on the fan just a little but when the fan turned on with the a/c on or when the temps got up it would sling it all over that side of the engine bay. Worth a look.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Is that hose just some regular rubber hose or is a special part or something like an upper/lower radiator hose. I mean if I go to a parts store, will they want me to pull it off to show them or do you think they would have it in stock? thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by paulisawesomer
Is that hose just some regular rubber hose or is a special part or something like an upper/lower radiator hose. I mean if I go to a parts store, will they want me to pull it off to show them or do you think they would have it in stock? thanks
It should be standard rubber hose. When the coolant flows into the tank it isn't under high pressure so it isn't likely to be spraying or leaking out of the overflow hose. It would more likely be leaking out of a pressurized hose like the upper radiator hose or heater hoses. Or could just be a loose clamp.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Looks like it is coming from some pinhole or some other leak in the radiator, kinda caught it the other day, however, it's still only happening sometimes. also caught the water valve leaking, so get to replace that too....at least that was only 15$. thanks for the help