Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

coolant overflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default coolant overflow

Im swapping my 90 over to an open style cooling system, i just dont want to deal with the plastic football anymore. Yes I know a properly taken care of closed system is amazing, but I just dont want it anymore. I also got a screaming deal on a csf 3 core because their shop is a couple of streets down from my office.
My question is, does the height of the coolant overflow matter? The factory tank for 92+ does not fit in the 90 like it does in the 92+ because of the coil and the way the relays are laid out. I went to put it where the plastic football was, but it doesnt really want to fit well there either. I can shove it in and get it to not move around, but it will be quite a bit higher than the radiator cap. I can get an universal coolant overflow that is much smaller to get it lower, but will loose the capacity. I was just wondering if the height even mattered or if the routing of the overflow line even mattered. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Higher is better.....air naturally migrates up. The most important thing is, the open system bottle MUST fill/empty from the bottom and the bottle cap MUST vent to the atmosphere (be "open", no pressure in the bottle). The rad cap is critical to the "open" type coolant recovery system functioning properly. U need to observe coolant level in the bottle......coolant level should rise a little when the motor is hot and the level should drop a little motor cold. Bottom of the bottle MUST always be covered with coolant.....otherwise, air will be sucked into the rad when the motor cools.

R u sure you want to do this? As long as the bottle and cap r sealing correctly, I much prefer the "closed" system.

Last edited by djb383; 05-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by djb383

R u sure you want to do this? As long as the bottle and cap r sealing correctly, I much prefer the "closed" system.
Ya, i already have the old stuff out and all the new stuff bought to put back in. Honestly if i would have found out about the volvo cap from napa before buying my radiator, I prob would have stuck with the old system and just eliminated the heater core valve. Unfortunately I have long since passed on the return date due to an accident at work. bought a mountain of parts then get hurt, havent been able to work on my jeep in over a yet, just getting back into it now.
I have all the stock parts, so the overflow should be coming out of the bottom like you said, I just wasnt sure if it was ok to be higher than the radiator.