Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant loss ONLY in winter months

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Coolant loss ONLY in winter months

So like stated above, I'm losing coolant somehow during the winter months. Over the summer all is good, level never changes, but in the winter I'm losing coolant somewhere. No puddling on the ground, no coolant in the oil, and when this happened last winter the carpet on the passenger side was nice a dry (I plan on checking again tonight to make sure thats still the case).

Any ideas on why my coolant level would be dropping? Is this normal and I just need to keep an eye on it? I do plan on replacing the radiator when it warms back up as I'm pretty sure it's the original and is a tad clogged up.

Edit: Found my leak (see below). There were no signs of a leak a couple weeks ago when it was like 20 degrees warmer.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 01-05-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

When coolant level drops, you're either leaking it or burning it. Sounds like you have checked for leaks.

Take another look with a good light and pay extra attention to the "seams" on the radiator. That is where I've found most radiators of your vintage leak. Is this the original radiator? If so, replacing it is a good idea regardless of whether it's the root cause. While you are into it, consider replacing the thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc. at the same time if you plan on keeping this vehicle. The parts themselves are not that expensive if you're providing the labor. Spending money on your cooling system is the best money you can spend on your XJ.

As for testing, the primary test for this symptom is a cooling system pressure test. Google it and you can often rent the test equipment from a parts store; call around for availability.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-06-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

If it only happens in the winter then it's probably related to either the radiator itself (metal shrinks in the cold), or the hoses for the same reason. You also only use the heat in the winter, so it could be heater core related but I think you would notice it dripping onto the carpet like you said.

If the radiator is that old I would get another one and new hoses/clamps too just to be sure. Maybe flush out the system too if its been a while.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks, guys. I definitely have plans to replace the radiator as I'm just about positive it's the original. Just next to impossible when it's 10 degrees out.

I doubt I'm burning coolant because my coolant level never changes in the summer, it's only the winter that I lose any. I guess it could be a small leak that doesn't leak enough to create any puddles, and is just blown away when I'm driving.

I have plans to hold onto this XJ until it falls apart. So I'll make any necessary fixes.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Thanks, guys. I definitely have plans to replace the radiator as I'm just about positive it's the original. Just next to impossible when it's 10 degrees out.

I doubt I'm burning coolant because my coolant level never changes in the summer, it's only the winter that I lose any. I guess it could be a small leak that doesn't leak enough to create any puddles, and is just blown away when I'm driving.

I have plans to hold onto this XJ until it falls apart. So I'll make any necessary fixes.
Wonder if you have a case of the winter leaks and it is not just making to the ground to see. Had '96 would leak every so slightly from the hoses in the heater control valve. I would adjust the clamps slightly. It would come and go. I even went a winter without having the problem at all.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lower radiator hose at the radiator leaks at the start of every winter till i tighten it up.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well, seems like my radiator has a small leak. Apparently not enough to drip on the ground, but you can see greenish/yellowish dried coolant. I initially thought it was the hose considering the pattern of the leak, but the hose and where it connects to the radiator is dry. Hope it gets me through the winter until I can replace it.

I appreciate the help guys. I checked for leaks previously (when it was slightly warm) and it was clean, so the extra cold weather must be opening a little crack.

Either way, picture of my findings... not the greatest picture, but gives you a good idea.

Name:  Coolant Leak.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

So like stated above, I'm losing coolant somehow during the winter months.
Winos that missed the last Greyhound to Fla, it's a Daitwa kinda thang.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Well, seems like my radiator has a small leak. Apparently not enough to drip on the ground, but you can see greenish/yellowish dried coolant. I initially thought it was the hose considering the pattern of the leak, but the hose and where it connects to the radiator is dry. Hope it gets me through the winter until I can replace it.

I appreciate the help guys. I checked for leaks previously (when it was slightly warm) and it was clean, so the extra cold weather must be opening a little crack.

Either way, picture of my findings... not the greatest picture, but gives you a good idea.

Attachment 281420
Too bad. I do not have a garage and hate when stuff breaks in the winter. Replaced a radiator in a '00. Couple things I learned. Might as well do the thermostat and gasket while everything is open. I also saw that my lower tranny line, a rubber section of it, was worn from rubbing the steering box. Said screw it and replaced it. Did the lower radiator and heater core hoses too. Everything is so wide open it took a lot of will power to not replace the working pulley, the adjustment setup on the pulley (you can buy it new at Napa part # NOE 6000635), and the water pump. Found a 19mm flarenut crowfoot works good for getting the elbow the lower tranny line goes into off the radiator. You will want to do this because the tool you will use to remove the lower tranny line, at Napa part # SER 774031, will be easier with the elbow off the radiator. All sorts of gunk gets in there and you will have to clean it out first to get the tool in to release the tabs to get it off. Also a little bit of Vaseline on the O-Ring in the tranny line will make it easier to get back on and to not roll it when doing so. The fan shroud and electric fan clip into the lower radiator support. Best to get under there with some pliers, squeeze the metal clips, and have somebody pull it from the top so as not to break them. Assuming they are not broke already.

Last edited by Ralph77; 01-06-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 300EXC
My lower radiator hose at the radiator leaks at the start of every winter till i tighten it up.
This is a problem I've had as well with my tranny line from radiator, and was directly linked to the hose contracting from the cold to the point where the hose clamp wasn't clamping it. Tightening it up fixed it, but not before shooting tyranny fluid all over.

The hose clamps with Phillips head screws to adjust need to be checked often if you live in a climate that goes from hot to cold, back to hot. The OEM clamps were designed to not need adjusting and always provide a clamping force no matter what, but I hate those clamps with a passion haha.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Hope it gets me through the winter until I can replace it.
Just don't add Stop Leak or any other "radiator crack fix". Fix it properly when you can.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Yep, will definitely NOT be adding stop leak.

Thanks for all the support gents.