Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant is going fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Coolant is going fast

I've used a whole bottle of coolant in the last month. I'm not getting any coolant lights, I've just noticed I have to fill it. I looked in the oil, and it doesn't appear to be any coolant, from a cracked head, but I'm wondering where it is going. Any thoughts? I have posted on here a periodic cylinder 6 misfire, but I have not noticed any misfire at all. I guess I'm wondering, if possibly the coolant is running into the engine, via a cracked head, and causing that check engine light? Thanks everyone.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Reply

Have you changed your oil? i just had the same problem. I changed the oil and got a nice watery surprise in the oil catch pan. The coolant will settle to bottom, use something clear to drain the oil into. do you have a pin hole leak in one of you hoses?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Turn on your heat and take a big sniff. Does it smell sticky/sweet? Leak in the heater core.

Check your tranny fluid. Remember that your tranny cooler is in the radiator, and if either one is leaking......
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 AM

You only have a tranny cooler if you have the factory towing package right frankz? i need to install one i think
Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

All auto trannys have a cooler inside the rad. The factory tow pkg also has an external tranny cooler in addition to the one in the rad.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by epic.jeeper
You only have a tranny cooler if you have the factory towing package right frankz? i need to install one i think

I think they all came factory with some sort of tranny cooler.. some were just heavy duty (the towing package)
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Ok, thanks guys.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

My radiator was seeping a bit, losing some coolant a bit at a time.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Turn on your heat and take a big sniff. Does it smell sticky/sweet? Leak in the heater core.

Check your tranny fluid. Remember that your tranny cooler is in the radiator, and if either one is leaking......

Did this today, and smelled nothing sticky/sweet. Tranny fluid looks good, and no visible leaks. Confused.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

What year is yours? mileage?

I would 1st drain your oil and look for signs of coolant (milky brownish)

Any white smoke out the tail pipe? any leaks around/under water pump, t-stat, houses or rad?

Then look under the valve cover thru the oil fill cap with a flashlight. Any light brown oil/coolant mix? alot of sludge? sludge will hide the coolant leak on top of the head and it will evaporate off before you can find it.

Onto the tests:
Compression test: if two cylinders next to each other have lower compression then its probably a blown head gaskets. They all should be within spec and relatively close to each other.

Then a leak down test to see if any cylinders arnt hold pressure aka blown head gasket, cracked head or bad rings

Also do a block sniffing to see if there are any hydrocarbons in you coolant
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
What year is yours? mileage?

I would 1st drain your oil and look for signs of coolant (milky brownish)

Any white smoke out the tail pipe? any leaks around/under water pump, t-stat, houses or rad?

Then look under the valve cover thru the oil fill cap with a flashlight. Any light brown oil/coolant mix? alot of sludge? sludge will hide the coolant leak on top of the head and it will evaporate off before you can find it.

Onto the tests:
Compression test: if two cylinders next to each other have lower compression then its probably a blown head gaskets. They all should be within spec and relatively close to each other.

Then a leak down test to see if any cylinders arnt hold pressure aka blown head gasket, cracked head or bad rings

Also do a block sniffing to see if there are any hydrocarbons in you coolant
2001 4x4 with 74K on it

Just poured some old oil(changed a week ago) into a clear bowl and waited almost 2 hrs, and didn't see any separation of coolant or milky brown difference.

Looked under the valve cover and don't see any coolant or sludge.

Next comes the compression test I think. I will do it and get back with everyone.

On a side note, I'm wondering if maybe my radiator is leaking or cap is bad. I need to have it tested so that and the compression test will be next.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 2.5 Liter 4 Cyl.

Coolant could be getting burned/boiled. check water pump
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

check the weep hole under the water pump you have to get right under with a flash light to see good
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Year: 96

cracked reservoir?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Question

Okay, now I think I'm smelling some sticky sweet smell in the AC/Heater. I still have to fill the coolant about from the "add line," to the "Full line," about every 3-4 weeks. So, I''m confused. Please refresh my memory as to what this might be. My tranny fluid is fine, so I don't think that's it. I changed out the cap, that did nothing so I'm not leaking there. No visible leaks anywhere, and no coolant in the oil. What's next? Do I change my radiator? Please advise guys. Thx

Quick Reply: Coolant is going fast