Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant or Antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Coolant or Antifreeze?

Hey Again Guys,

So yet again I have become paranoid. Was out checking all my levels before driving to Boston to open up all the computers again and noticed the "Coolant Bottle" was completely bone dry. One of the very cocky guys came out and said here let me check all of your levels because you don't know how to. (Already pissed but since he was older, I was taught to respect older people so I didn't say a word) He yanked the dipstick out and said it was fine. (Already checked it, but obviously he didn't know how to check it because he didn't wipe it and re-insert it. ) Then opened up the Coolant bottle and said, You stupid B****** put some Anti-Freeze in this S***-Box. But the cap on it says Coolant so I'm not doing anything before consulting the experts. So if someone could tell me if I'm putting in Coolant or whatever the hell I need to put in, I'd appreciate it. Always used PEAK in it...But haven't had it in three years so I'm asking you guys first.

Here is the picture of the bottle I'm talking about (I know for a fact it's coolant, but I'm paranoid.) : Name:  DSC02252.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  157.1 KB
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Coolant and Antifreeze are the same thing. It helps it keep it cool when it's hot an keeps it from freezing when it's cold.
Just make sure that you run 50% water and 50% antifreeze/coolant.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

And never let that old dude talk to you like that again. I understand respecting elders but their age doesn't give them the right to $hit on people. You have to give respect to get respect.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
NPx
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

For a young driver you're doing good just getting out there and checking. Too bad the old guy was a dipstick, lol. Most of the antifreeze (coolant) sold around here is already mixed to 50/50. It should say on the bottle if it's already mixed. If it's not been done lately, it might be time for a complete flush of the cooling system. What color is the coolant in your engine? Assuming regular antifreeze has been used, it should be bright green. If it's starting to look brownish then it may be time to flush and replace.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Oh Thomas. Your stories always amuse me. But like already said, coolant and antifreeze are the same thing. What level you should really be concerned about is under the radiator cap. Pop that off and make sure it's filled to the top - and while you're at it, take a picture of the coolant under the radiator cap and post it.

As for the overflow bottle, there are markings on the side of the that say "Add" and "Full". That should not be filled to the brim. It should have a little in it though.

Anyways, if you are going to add more coolant, you want a 50% water and 50% coolant mixture
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

As it says on that lid in the pic, "SEE OWNERS MANUAL".......become wiser grasshopper (and less paranoid).
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I almost got tricked at Wall Mart today. Grabbed the $10 bottle of Etheline glycol, then saw one for $8 and almost left with it instead. Was on my way out when I saw the 50/50 on the label! The print was not Large.

Now since I have straight coolant/antifreez, I'll mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with water for the correct mix, (to not freeze below -34 or boil over 265*)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Originally Posted by Elexwiz
And never let that old dude talk to you like that again. I understand respecting elders but their age doesn't give them the right to $hit on people. You have to give respect to get respect.
x2 man! Dont let that guy try to give you advice again. Anytime he is around and your wrenching close up your hood and walk away!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I almost got tricked at Wall Mart today. Grabbed the $10 bottle of Etheline glycol, then saw one for $8 and almost left with it instead. Was on my way out when I saw the 50/50 on the label! The print was not Large.

Now since I have straight coolant/antifreez, I'll mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with water for the correct mix, (to not freeze below -34 or boil over 265*)
Make sure you don't mix with tap water! Buy some distilled water.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It's funny how stores charge $8 for 50/50 & $12 for 100%.The math doesn't add up.I guess they bank on the fact that most people are lazy or don't know any better.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Convenience comes with a price.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I actually witnessed a gal knowingly buy that on purpose last week. (50/50). Must have had her daddy's credit card.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L High Output

T.Y guys! Im still learning. @Jordan, I noticed that. Well mine is right at the full mark. Under the radiator cap the fluid is bright green filled to the top. Drive to Boston in Chinatown was so much fun. It felt like I had 4WD going over those potholes! Hills were frightening...I must say Im getting damn quick on the clutch though.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix I6

Originally Posted by TABonifacio
Hey Again Guys,

So yet again I have become paranoid. Was out checking all my levels before driving to Boston to open up all the computers again and noticed the "Coolant Bottle" was completely bone dry. One of the very cocky guys came out and said here let me check all of your levels because you don't know how to. (Already pissed but since he was older, I was taught to respect older people so I didn't say a word) He yanked the dipstick out and said it was fine. (Already checked it, but obviously he didn't know how to check it because he didn't wipe it and re-insert it. ) Then opened up the Coolant bottle and said, You stupid B****** put some Anti-Freeze in this S***-Box. But the cap on it says Coolant so I'm not doing anything before consulting the experts. So if someone could tell me if I'm putting in Coolant or whatever the hell I need to put in, I'd appreciate it. Always used PEAK in it...But haven't had it in three years so I'm asking you guys first.

Here is the picture of the bottle I'm talking about (I know for a fact it's coolant, but I'm paranoid.) :
He said WHAT to you?
After he proceeded to man-handle your ride?
The nerve of some people is getting out of hand.

Don't get paranoid, coolant is coolant.
as said before: 50/50
Good day.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by TABonifacio
T.Y guys! Im still learning. @Jordan, I noticed that. Well mine is right at the full mark. Under the radiator cap the fluid is bright green filled to the top. Drive to Boston in Chinatown was so much fun. It felt like I had 4WD going over those potholes! Hills were frightening...I must say Im getting damn quick on the clutch though.
Good deal dude, you're learning! If you ever have some extra dough laying around, look through eBay and pick up a factory service manual for your year. I can't tell you how many times it's come in handy.

And that's a good little drive! Glad to hear she made it all that way

Quick Reply: Coolant or Antifreeze?