Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Converting my 2wd to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 High Output
Default Converting my 2wd to 4wd

Its a 93 jeep cherokee.
What years are compatible as a donor vehichle.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Any year will swap over. The drive train will swap over directly no matter what the year. What you need to look out for is the specs on the parts you are swapping in. The gear ratios, transfer case model, transmission, etc. This is important because there were some changes and even though it will bolt over, the part may not be as strong or may not be exactly what you will want later.

I just swapped in a Dana 30 into my Jeep. It came out of a 4 cylinder manual so it has 4.11 gears. Unfortunately it wasn't equipped with ABS so it is a disconnect housing. This isn't a big deal because I can swap in a one piece axle but it is something I'm going to have to deal with later.

You'll probably get some "sell it and buy a 4x4" replies. I agree with this if you want one now or soon. It's hard to do a conversion cheap and quick. If you can wait and find the parts cheap, it's a fun thing to do because you'll soon know every part of your Jeep and it's possible to convert it cheaply.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 PM

so there shouldn't be a problem swapping any year cherokee parts in?
the only concern would be a performance issue?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by TylerRiddle
so there shouldn't be a problem swapping any year cherokee parts in?
the only concern would be a performance issue?
I am not sure you would have any performance problems outside of weight your adding,but what your gaing far out weighs that.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Year: 1991

With things like the gears in the axles, yeah. If your going to 31s or 33s you wouldn't want a 3.55 ratio. Towards the transmission side, manual or auto is preference. Other than that there isn't much of a performance issue with the parts.
What I was getting at was some of the changes in the parts themselves. For instance, the early 4.0 AW4 where 21 spline. When Jeep went to the H.O. motor, they went to a 23 spline output shaft. Both will work either way, but it is easier to find a transfer case for a 23 spline if you end up breaking one down the road because more were made.
It's not hard to figure out what will work though. I used to have a K5 blazer I lifted and put 36s on. It was very easy to track down parts for it because Chevy kept most of their parts compatible. Cherokees are even easier. There aren't really too many things you need to look out for.
For the axles, look for the gear ratio you want, make sure it's a high pinion. If it's a disconnect axle, it's shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you can score a non disco at the same or slightly higher price.
For the transmission, the easiest thing to do would be to find the same(auto of manual) that you have and that matches your engine. I don't know if the late model autos connect differently(electrical harness) than the older ones. Maybe someone else knows that.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:50 PM

I found a 88 4x4 cherokee at the pick your part.
its %50 off this whole weekend.
Seriously considering stripping all the parts i need off that one.
The rear axle has already been stripped. other than that every thing is there.

any advice?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 AM

Are you crazy, man?

Why just don't you buy a 4WD???

Really... i will be doing my 4WD Conversion soon. i just HAD to ask the question that i've been asked over and over again!

i just spent an hour doing thread searches. i think that it was NAXJA that had a thread about 4WD Conversions and Transmission Control Units (TCU's). i understood that at least the TCU's are "generation specific"... i.e., '85-'90, '91-'96, etc... There was also something else about lengthening the wiring harness, as well???

HELP... i must be retarded, cause i can't find it!

Last edited by guest02; 03-13-2010 at 03:28 AM.