Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Converting a 2wd to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Converting a 2wd to 4wd

Hello, I am new here and have a quick question. I got a steal on a 2000 2wd cherokee. I want to make it to a 4wd, I have a parts vehicle , so all parts are avail. I see the wiring is by the tranny , I take it is for the transfer case and I see the dash has the lights. Is this a bolt in job or am I looking at some major issues. Thanks for any advice and input.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Unless you are retired, have a garage with a lift, numerous air tools, LOTS of money for extra stuff you will find you will need and the knowldge to CORRECTLY do something as large scale as this, I would whole heartedly pass on this!! Just my 2 cents!!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

i have a 2wd jeep and my buddy wants to convert it in his driveway. my words were "F$%@ off your crazy" 75% of the driveline has to be swapped out
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
Unless you are retired, have a garage with a lift, numerous air tools, LOTS of money for extra stuff you will find you will need and the knowldge to CORRECTLY do something as large scale as this, I would whole heartedly pass on this!! Just my 2 cents!!
Don't scare him!

If he has a complet parts jeep OF THE SAME YEAR!!!!! If isn't as hard and expensive as you make it sound.

Hardest part would be getting the old tranny out and putting the new tranny and t-case in and getting the shift adjusted. The wiring SHOULD be there don't hold me to that but most should be there.

I'm not saying that it is EASY, but it is do able in a driveway or garage with basic tools and jacks.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Im not saying it cant be done, I am just trying to make it clear that this is not your typical weekend-wrencher type of job. You really need to have a real good idea as to what your getting into otherwise you will end up with a wasted XJ and pissed off. The amount of time and money one would need to invest into something like this does not seem correct unless you are doin some kind of rediculous caged trail monster. Even then, Im not too sure I would want to be responsible!! Just me though. Others would think differently.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

YOu could do it in a weekend if you want if you have the right tools and buddy there will work for a six pack.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by finneys98xj
Don't scare him!

he has a complete parts jeep OF THE SAME YEAR!!!!! If isn't as hard and expensive as you make it sound.
I'm not saying that it is EASY, but it is do able in a driveway or garage with basic tools and jacks.

Agreed . With a donor vehicle there with everything to swap over its a very doable job for most anyone remotely mechanically inclined.

if he was getting all the stuff off 3 or 4 different vehicles at different times it would be different.

Doing it in steps makes it very easy.... front diff one weekend......... then tranny/tc next weekend..and finally TC shift linkage and front driveshaft.
Never down more than a day at a time.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by Rmart30
Agreed . With a donor vehicle there with everything to swap over its a very doable job for most anyone remotely mechanically inclined.

if he was getting all the stuff off 3 or 4 different vehicles at different times it would be different.

Doing it in steps makes it very easy.... front diff one weekend......... then tranny/tc next weekend..and finally TC shift linkage and front driveshaft.
Never down more than a day at a time.
what sucks is he has to take it out of the donor jeep