Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Control Drop Bracket Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Control Drop Bracket Question

Do you have to change the length of the CAs when put on the DBs?? If so, how much?? Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.7 Stroker

If they are adjustable, then probably yes. Putting drop brackets will fix your control arm angles but most likely throw off your pinion angle in the process.

how much..Well enough to set the proper pinion angle which you can find using a $15 magnetic angle finder from sears.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I don't think that the length needs changing I think your drop brackets move them a little bit though. Not sure this is from reading only. Never put on a set or made any measurements. Hope that you find out. Are you contemplating drops?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I have installed one set of drops though I can't remember if we adjusted them or not. I'm sure we did at some point. Considering the install that day involved several more things such as new front axle, new springs, new drop brackets, etc.

If I remember correctly, as the frame side drops, it pushes the axle forward some. The 4 control arms do move at the same distance "basically" but it is best to check your pinion angle to get the job done right.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Bouncy
I have installed one set of drops though I can't remember if we adjusted them or not. I'm sure we did at some point. Considering the install that day involved several more things such as new front axle, new springs, new drop brackets, etc.

If I remember correctly, as the frame side drops, it pushes the axle forward some. The 4 control arms do move at the same distance "basically" but it is best to check your pinion angle to get the job done right.
Thanks Bouncy I thought they moved a little and this helps confirm that.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Just weighing some options, thanks. I will be going with DBs or a LA kit, dunno yet!! I think that it would make the Jeep handle MUCH better, IMHO. What do you guys think?? Later!!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

It handles on the road better with drop brackets OR long arm. However, in my opinion, drop brackets fix a short arm angle problem but doesn't net you any better flex.

If your a wheelers, a long arm will be best in the long run. If your a road driver and wheel now and then...drops will work fine.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Bouncy
It handles on the road better with drop brackets OR long arm. However, in my opinion, drop brackets fix a short arm angle problem but doesn't net you any better flex.

If your a wheelers, a long arm will be best in the long run. If your a road driver and wheel now and then...drops will work fine.
Bouncy just look at his Jeep in his avatar and the pics he has posted. A long arm will be his best bet. They are expensive and will never be on my heep for that reason but IF I lived in Crawlarado I might reconsider.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah I'd go LA which is my eventual plan when I can get a new DD and the jeep becomes strictly an offroad vehicle and driven onroad only to get to location.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Just weighing some options, thanks. I will be going with DBs or a LA kit, dunno yet!! I think that it would make the Jeep handle MUCH better, IMHO. What do you guys think?? Later!!
Just do it once and do it with no regrets, LA's are the way to go.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

drop brackets change arm lenght almost 2"
I recently saw a chart online detailing exact arm lengths with and without drop brackets I'll try to find it and link it
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Thanks for all the info guys...CF ROCKS!! I know that LAs are the ****, but that is more of a long term plan. Along with a D44 front, to match the rear, OX lockers in both, a bit more lift, and 35s. I was looking into a short term fix, but did not know if it would be worth it or not. My XJ is not my DD and only gets driven to and (hopefully) from the trail. I also thought that I would gain a little more drop out of the CADBs. My CAs seem to be what limits my suspension. Dropping them should give my some drop, right?? If there are no gains, other than on pavement ride, I'll wait. Just asking for asking sake, thanks much, later!!

P.S. Got my stickers today....they're pimp tight!!LOL!!

Last edited by Kyle; 07-19-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

DB's will give you some more articulation as your arms wont be as limited, but again why drop 200+$ on it now when you already have plans to change it?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Kyle
DB's will give you some more articulation as your arms wont be as limited, but again why drop 200+$ on it now when you already have plans to change it?
That's a symptom of the "jeep bug". It's stated in the most updated medical journal. "Jeep Bug/Addiction: Inability to control self upon coming in contact with a Jeep. Typical symptoms of the Jeep Bug are: empty wallets/bank accounts, installing and removing 12 different lift kits before doing it right, living in constant fear of being small, and eye irritation from being exposed to high levels of radiation (i.e. excessive jeep forum/online parts browsing).
Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Renix Super Guru

mudd add that to the wikipedia.

Quick Reply: Control Drop Bracket Question