Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Colored tubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Colored tubes

Hi all,
New to the forum here and have a few questions to start with. Have an '89 Cherokee Sport. Current problems are starter won't engage, steering column is real sloppy, and in the cluster of tubes (red, green, yellow, blue) the red one has a check valve? perhaps? that keeps coming undone at the lower end and spews oil all over the starter connections. The blue one has a loose end out in the fender well. Can anyone explain the tube functions and offer any direction on where to start with the other issues mentioned?
Would be much appreciated!
Thanks, K
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

The starter not engaging is likely due to a dirty NSS (Neutral Safety Switch). Another symptom of this is typically sporadic or non-functioning reverse lights. Temporary remedies are to jiggle the shifter in Park or try starting in neutral. The best solution is to remove, clean, regrease, reinstall and align your NSS. It takes about 2-3 hours depending on how hard it is to get off. Of course you didn't mention if it's an auto or 5-speed so hopefully it's an auto and I didn't just waste my breath.

The floppy column is common, it's likely due to the bolts coming loose in the tilt mechanism. Begin by removing the steering wheel and work your way down the column until you get to where you can reach the bolts... tighten them up and enjoy the wonders of a sturdy column... Trust me, it makes your whole rig feel more solid. I've got a write-up somewhere, I'll post when I find it.

Not sure what tubes you're talking about. Possibly the vacuum lines for your front diff? Someone else may know.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

Here's the write-up I did on the column bolt tightening procedure... you've gotta scroll down a little to find it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/i-c...-wheel-125657/

...and here's a write-up on refrubing your NSS

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Have you had a chance to look at any of these things?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much F1! Not into it 'til this evening or more likely tomorrow. Still on TG holiday. Got to get it started and running first then inside to do the column.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ka&Fl
Thank you very much F1! Not into it 'til this evening or more likely tomorrow. Still on TG holiday. Got to get it started and running first then inside to do the column.
Yeah, I'm still recovering as well. Let us know how it goes when you get a chance to dive in.