Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold Start Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987/1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0l
Default Cold Start Issue!

Ok so I have a problem with starting my Jeep in the morning (Will crank but not turn over). I'm on Maui so I didn't think there would be enough of a temp difference to cause it. But anyway, my co-worker read a couple threads on some forums saying that the coolant temp sensor (Below exhaust manifold) was the culprit when nothing else worked. So I got a new one and replaced it along with all new hoses and radiator since I had to upgrade to an open system anyway. Still hard starting while cold after all that. Now what's odd is that I can get it to start a few times when pressing on the brake while trying to start. And if that won't work, I'd roll my Jeep a few feet then slam on the brakes causing my Jeep to jerk pretty good and that will start it up when just pressing the brake alone won't work. I've been told to get rid of the EGR and just plate off the exhaust hole also to replace the TPS. I wouldn't mind doing all that but I just want to change the direct cause of it instead of replace a bunch of stuff till I find the solution. Help please! Thanks (Sorry for the Long thread..)
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 litre 6 cylinder

Try starting her in neutral
Also turn the key to the on position for a couple of minutes, then try to start her
Also check your cps

Last edited by Cherokee89sport; 07-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

Start with a factory service manual and read up. Sounds like some weird relay/electrical problem.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokee89sport
Try starting her in neutral
Also turn the key to the on position for a couple of minutes, then try to start her
Also check your cps
Already tried it that way. I would put her in neutral and she still wont start so I roll it a little then slam the brakes and 90% of the times viola, she starts. If not I do it again and she starts. Weird symptom
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 94JeepCherokeeMan
Start with a factory service manual and read up. Sounds like some weird relay/electrical problem.
I've been looking through my Hanes trying to find a possible solution but nothing in the cold start troubleshooting listings seem to match up
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You have a Renix XJ (87-90) By design, the engine is not going to fire until the computer (ECU) gets a signal from the crankshaft position sensor and measures that signal to indicate that 300 rpms while cranking has been met/exceeded.

Somewhat extended crank times should be considered a “characteristic” of your engine, rather than a problem.

You can upgrade the battery and battery cables--at least 4 ga., 2 ga. better--and buy a high-torque starter.

Be sure that all grounds are good. Remove them and freshen them. You cannot tell if the grounds are electrically good by looking at them! Renix vehicles are very sensitive to ground issues.

Other than that, performing basic tune-ups on a regular basis is important, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter)

The above suggestions are things that will help optimize start times on a Renix engine.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
You have a Renix XJ (87-90) By design, the engine is not going to fire until the computer (ECU) gets a signal from the crankshaft position sensor and measures that signal to indicate that 300 rpms while cranking has been met/exceeded.

Somewhat extended crank times should be considered a “characteristic” of your engine, rather than a problem.

You can upgrade the battery and battery cables--at least 4 ga., 2 ga. better--and buy a high-torque starter.

Be sure that all grounds are good. Remove them and freshen them. You cannot tell if the grounds are electrically good by looking at them! Renix vehicles are very sensitive to ground issues.

Other than that, performing basic tune-ups on a regular basis is important, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter)

The above suggestions are things that will help optimize start times on a Renix engine.
Thanks. I know that my Jeep has that "characteristic" to have a longer start than other vehicles, but when I'm holding the key for a good 10 seconds and she's still not firing up, and with the same results when trying again, I think it's a problem... Especially since it didn't do it before