Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Cold Air Intake

Hey guys. I was wandering if anybody has a cold air intake and a aftermarket muffler on their Cherokee, and could tell me the improvements it made over being stock. Specifically I would like to know if adding these upgrades would give me a noticeable increase in gas mileage. I am at college now and I am not getting very good gas mileage due to the large amount of city driving, which isn't a Jeep's best area. I am new to the upgrading of my Jeep so any information anybody has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L (Renix)

whats up? Im not a moderator but welcome to JF, i see you just joined!
however, use the search feature, its pretty similar if not exact to almost all forums. There are tons of intake, exhaust, fuel injector, and many other modification posts already. If you cant find one through searching, let me know, id be happy to help!

there are also alot of cool free or cheap modifications in the 'fabrication' section.

and post pics..ppl like pics..its like a moth to a flame...
Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I have both and the only gains ive gotton is a better noise from the exhaust and a sweet sound from the intake when i floor it and maybe 1-2 mpg, dynomax makes a cheap good cat back exhaust and my cold air intake was 50 bucks off ebay. And welcome to the forum, theres plenty of info on here so use the search bar for a future reference.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

What kind of mileage are you getting right now? Would help us to know if you are getting something average or if something might be wrong.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

+1 to searching. No joke, there are a few different active threads concerning these very questions, with more answers then we could riddle off to you. Then you could determine what setup would work best for you. Also, check the fabrication section for home-brewed C.A.I systems.

Welcome to Cherokeeforum!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks guys. Holliday79, as for the mileage that I am getting it is normal. 15 city, 20 when I do get to do highway driving. Well, off to search the forum and see what I can find. Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: Its what i like to call the frankenstein 4.0,its the finest refinements from91 to 2000

absolutely,ive tried just about all the differant ca kits,ok heres what ive learned,dont waist your money on the overpriced aem,etc.u can get a kit on ebay that has a good 90% urethane adapter that goes to the passenger side pointed to the emission canister,tube has two hose fittings,one goes to the front valve cover vent,other goes to cannister,filter that comes with is ok,ive ben using one i found at advance auto,its a solid stainless,mesh,no other material,it litterly outflows everything ive tried hands down,it was less than 40$,factory cats, arepretty restictive,lol unless there completely blowedout,a good high flow cat from like summit or jegs,this for the best with a cat on (off road ,scrap it completey,ok once again borla,gibson,etc,are both super,but were talking about the best bang for ur buck,stock are just plain junk,u can find a quality header,that is far better than stock ,150$ and they dont crack like every factory one will,now heres what makes this work,dei makes a fifty foot roll of header wrap that when properly wrapped will lowerengine compartment temp,this is not my figure,dei says by 70 %,um hard to believe,but ok it works,dyno max muffler tail pipe150$,wrap,50$ with the stainless ties,i usually pull the throttle body,throw 2 in drum sander bit in a drill press,open up the base volume not quite an eigth of an inch,throttle response time to spin up,even under a load,is crisp and it takes half the time,average gains 40 noticeable hp,i actually got close to 60 ,on mine,port matched head and intake,my jeeps a whole other story,lol best gains are gonna be on 91 octane,dependiing on driving style,i run all fluids full syntheticss,7 to 12 % in mileage,ive had to set up all my buds with this setup,best bzng for the buck,when u get all that done ,jit back and then we can take it to the next level ,honestly i do this setup on about every xj that we setup,bout six to ten a yr,were just some old guys with a kickass toybox to work on r rigs,we hit the trails at least weekend a month,a when i say we dont baby em,we beat the dog **** out of em
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Ok, I have done some looking around and I have come up with a plan. This is just a rough plan for right now. I have seen that a lot of people cut up their stock air box and put a conical filter in (which, as far as i can tell, is the same as buying an expensive K&N intake, etc.). So I am thinking that I could cut out a larger hole in the front of the air box to allow more air to flow than the small stock hole. Then I would attach a conical filter to the stock hose. Now I have some questions. 1. As far as a basic plan goes, is this a decent plan? 2. Would I need to modify the lid for the air box and put it on? I have heard some people do it and others not do it. 3. This may be a dumb question, but is this the same as buying an expensive AFE etc. intake? I appreciate you all helping out the newbie.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

putting the tube on im my opinion will create a faster air delivery its smoother than the ribbed factory tube ,and i think cutting a big hole in the box will allow water to get in easier
Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Just keep in mind, you improve air flow with a conical performance filter, but no matter how much larger the inlet tube or how many access holes you make, you can only shove so much air through the stock throttle body. The only real gain is quicker off idle response and a performance kind of sound under the hood. Take care to modify the intake in a way that looks neat and professional looking. Nobody likes a hack job right?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Those are good points guys. I'm glad there is a place to go to get good advice where people understand that everyone has to start somewhere.

Freegdr, I wasn't planning on cutting a whole side out of the box but I do agree with what you are saying completely. I also never thought about that ribbed tubing holding up some of the air, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Willys55, I do agree with you, I am a slight perfectionist, so I do not want this to look totally Jerry rigged, lol.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Year: '99

Will the ECU richen up the mixture automatically with a short ram CAI?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by NateXJ01
Those are good points guys. I'm glad there is a place to go to get good advice where people understand that everyone has to start somewhere.

Freegdr, I wasn't planning on cutting a whole side out of the box but I do agree with what you are saying completely. I also never thought about that ribbed tubing holding up some of the air, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Willys55, I do agree with you, I am a slight perfectionist, so I do not want this to look totally Jerry rigged, lol.

Thanks!
what year xj is it
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Heyy bud whats up, welcome aboard the CF.
I used to have a cold air intake on my old cherokee with a flowmaster on it.
I did a test on my cherokee when it was stock with no cold air intake nore flows on it
It would take off rough, sounded real boring. and the throttle response was doing bad with out the aftermarket performance parts on it.
I then went and bought my cold air intake, and a flowmaster exhuast system.
Put everything on.
Did the test, and to tell you the truth....
It did ALOT better then it did before.
It took off smooth, it sounded real nice and strong. i loved the way it sound.
and the throttle response was more active.
it rode pretty smooth to.
Now on gas milage am not so sure if it helped me out, but i do know that when i installed the flowmaster, it did save me some gas. Thats when i was stuck in traffic driving like an old man sav8ing gas ya know.
but other then that it was a good $200 i ever wasted on my jeep.
Well dont want to say wasted more like GAVE,
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 PM

RR1982, I do not know.

Originally Posted by freegdr
what year xj is it
, it is a 2001, last year but definitely not the least.

You can never waste money on a Jeep, 88Cherokee. I like how you said "gave." I am looking for a muffler that will give it a little more aggressive sound, but nothing to intense. With stock headers and the cat still being on it shouldn't get too bad though.

Last edited by NateXJ01; 11-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake