Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: N/A
Default Cold Air Intake

Hey guys, i was lookin into putting a K&N intake on my xj. Does anyone have one. Do you think the benefits are worth the price? Personally, despite, the hp and mpg benefits, I just think they look cool (which is probably the main reason I want one. ......and btw, whats the deal with throttle body spacers?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaz2000xjsport
Hey guys, i was lookin into putting a K&N intake on my xj. Does anyone have one. Do you think the benefits are worth the price? Personally, despite, the hp and mpg benefits, I just think they look cool (which is probably the main reason I want one. ......and btw, whats the deal with throttle body spacers?
CAI's work alright but they arnt really "cold air" intakes because the air still comes from under the hood. And if you wheel your xj make sure you dont get water anywhere around it. The main thing with a CIA in my opinion is the throttle response that you gain, not the very small hp and even smaller mpg gains. Throttle body spacers are garbage.( I have one haha.) It just whistles and sounds like a bov when I shift . No performance gains. A bored throttle body is the way to go.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by kaz2000xjsport
I've been debating whether I want to spend the money on one or not... The whole reason you'll spend the $250 for a K&N setup is because it's a COLD AIR intake. That right there is the problem; getting cold air. It's almost impossible to route cold air into the engine bay for an XJ. There is a little spot behind the driver's side headlamp where I've seen 2.8 XJs run a ram air type setup, but I don't know if you'd want to try that or not. You'd risk sucking water in when it rains, etc. If you plan on taking your XJ muddin, don't even bother as it is another way to ruin your day (and your engine). The only way you'll get a TRUE cold air intake is if you want to blow the money on a snorkel which would be really BA in my opinion. I've been looking into fabbing one up, I just don't know what material I'd have to use to get the job done though.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I personally dont think it is worth the $. I almost bought one last month. Then after a day of mudding I opened my hood and there was all kinds of water and mud up in there. Also you have to think when your out there 4 bying a bunch of dust is going to get sucked onto that oiled down filter. So you would be cleaning it alot.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Don't waste your money on the name brand. you can make one yourself. its super easy. Go to Autozone, pepboys, or O'Reillys and pick up a 45 degree intake tube. Then the 6 inch tube and buy your filter. Right by the tubes you will see a kit that comes with the ccv fittings and drillbits, buy that. Then buy 2.5 feet of 5/8 heater hose. Lastly buy a 3" hose clamp. For under 70$ you have your own cold air intake. Got the plastic cone cover from a mustang i think.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by mpars
Don't waste your money on the name brand. you can make one yourself. its super easy. Go to Autozone, pepboys, or O'Reillys and pick up a 45 degree intake tube. Then the 6 inch tube and buy your filter. Right by the tubes you will see a kit that comes with the ccv fittings and drillbits, buy that. Then buy 2.5 feet of 5/8 heater hose. Lastly buy a 3" hose clamp. For under 70$ you have your own cold air intake. Got the plastic cone cover from a mustang i think.

mine cost 52 dollars pepboys special
Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

just took the factory top off stock air box and piped to it with new filter work great and looks good
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Your lucky if you gain 1hp, its a waste of time and money on a jeep. The only true CAI is a snorkel or a cowl intake.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Year: 1994

i had a k&n "cold air inake" on a nissan frontier a while back and they sound good when u get in the throttle hard but they dont do anything for gas mileage i had thought about cold air for my jeep but for mudding purposes i was thinkin of just a k&n drop in replacement filter much better for gas mileage and in the box for muddin
Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

unless you have mods to the engine any of this is minimal if any. if you have a stock head & intake a spacers does zero if you gasket match,port, polish then maybe you'll see a little. the beni's of air intakes has been addressed.

Last edited by retreaded jeeper; 11-08-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by retreaded jeeper
unless you have mods to the engine any of this is minimal if any. if you have a stovk head & intake a spacers foes zeroif you gasket5 match,port, polish then maybe you'll see a little. the beni's of air intakes has been addressed.
What???
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Engine: N/A

Originally Posted by rich
What???
Not to get off topic of the thread here, but Rich, I see in your pics u have an '11 Grand Cherokee. I was thinking of getting rid of my '06 tahoe for one. Do you like them?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

just pull the silencer out of the tube and ad a good filter. no real restriction on the stock set up so doing a intake is a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Irongrave
just pull the silencer out of the tube and ad a good filter. no real restriction on the stock set up so doing a intake is a waste of money.
Yeah, I must agree with this one. I was thinking about building a CAI, but for the life of me I couldn't really find any issue with the stock set-up other than that restriction in the top of the airbox. The stock setup draws cool air directly from behind the driver-side headlight, isolates it from the engine bay temps via the air-box, has it flow right up through the filter (maybe upgrade the filter, but thats about it), and then to the engine.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

I've run k&n filters before, along with cold air intakes, and have NEVER noticed any sort of performance or economy gain whatsoever, maybe if it was put on a dyno it might have like have maybe a 1-2 hp gain, but nothing noticable. They do look cool though, lol. Having said that, I put mine together with a Spectre filter, and about a 12'' section of 3" exhaust straight pipe that I painted black, the ex. pipe will fit right into your stock intake rubber boot, and the plastic hose clamp deal will work too. I think mine might have cost $25 all together, not including the flat black spray paint I had laying around.
Just build your own kit, it's easy, and MUCH easier on the wallet, with the money you save you can get something else cooler for your jeep

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake