Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Code's 1491 and codes 0443

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Code's 1491 and codes 0443

I hope this is not going to be too long of a question. Recently I noticed my check engine light on 1996 Jeep Cherokee straight six. After checking for codes I came up with 1491 and code 0443. The 1491 is telling me the electric fan is not working and the 0443 that the purge valve for the vaporator canister is not working.

So far I have purchase thre relay's for the electric fan. The first one would start it up but it would not shut off even after the engine was off for several minutes and the tempurature had cooled down. It would run down the battery. I took it back and traded it in for a new switch which would not start up the fan. I then went to another parts store and got a new switch and it also would not start up the fan.

I can pull the relay and insert a wire below on the two terminals on either side and the fan will start. I also noticed the clutch for the air conditioner seems to be broke and it is also not starting but I can pull the relay on it and do it the same way with a wire and it will start.

The purge valve I have ordered but I think I have something going on that I am not understanding, maybe a direct short to the system, don't know any advise?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

check fuse number 18 which is 15 amp and check fuse number 15 which is 30 amp

also verify at the relay that the dark blue w/white wire has at least 12 volts with the key on, and that the light green w/red wire has 12 volts at all times.

The PCM provides the ground for the fan relay so check that when you turn the key on that the dark blue w/pink wire provides the ground. To check ground just hook your test light between battery positive and the appropriate wire. PCM looks for the coolant temp sensor to read 210 degrees before applying ground or for the A/C signal for the compressor
Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks ***** I will try to look at it tomorrow. It just seems like everything went to heck at once on it. I replaced the computer in it about a year ago, sure hope it is not giving me fits. The reason I replaced it then is I could not keep cam and crank sensors in it. I went through about 3 of each before replacing the computer.

P.S. I have already checked to fuse's they were all okay.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Willys55
check fuse number 18 which is 15 amp and check fuse number 15 which is 30 amp

also verify at the relay that the dark blue w/white wire has at least 12 volts with the key on, and that the light green w/red wire has 12 volts at all times.

The PCM provides the ground for the fan relay so check that when you turn the key on that the dark blue w/pink wire provides the ground. To check ground just hook your test light between battery positive and the appropriate wire. PCM looks for the coolant temp sensor to read 210 degrees before applying ground or for the A/C signal for the compressor

Wante to let you know I got the codes cleared and the fan working. After reading over your post I pulled the small fuses and looked them over again the one had blown. Anyway got the fan to working. Still looks like my airconditioner compressor is going South.