Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

code p1391 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default code p1391 help!!!

Have a guy from new york looking to buy my xj but a code p3191 comes up with check engine light. Crank sensor has been replaced and i have no running, starting,or idle issues. Replaced the idle air control valve. Still comes up. Any ideas????
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Did you have this code before you changed the CPS, or did it come up right after the CPS change?

Try disconnecting the battery negative cable for a few minutes and see if the code clears. Try and sell it with the code cleared. If it comes back after two trips the fault is still there and you don't want to be around.

It may be loose connectors, chafed wires, or corroded pins in connectors. Check the CPS connector and camshaft position sensor connectors for security. If you cleared the code, wiggle the wire harnesses and see if the code pops up again.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

Wow thats nice, be sure not to sell me anything.the guy wanting to buy it is a member on here and also im not that type of person. Im finding some info pointing to the distributor needing to be re-indexed. Might try it but looking for more suggestions.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bnkk
Wow thats nice, be sure not to sell me anything.the guy wanting to buy it is a member on here and also im not that type of person. Im finding some info pointing to the distributor needing to be re-indexed. Might try it but looking for more suggestions.
Of course I was kidding about duping the buyer.

It may be informitive to know if the code appeared before or after you replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Why did you change the CPS?

If the engine is running okay or, as you say, "i have no running, starting,or idle issues", I doubt if the distributor needs reindexing, unless however, it has been disturbed from its original index for some reason. The camshaft position sensor may be may be defective. You may want to examine it to make sure it is sitting in its alignment notch on the distributor housing properly, examine the connector wiring, and examine the connector pins and sockets for corrosion.

Here's a list of possible causes, taken from the 2001 FSM diagnostics section. As you can see, the list is extensive. There are lots of pages dedicated to testing for the fault, which calls for the use of the DRBIII tool. You may want to take your Jeep to the dealer and have them run through the diagnostic trouble shooting with their DRBIII tool.

CMP SENSOR OUT OF SYNC
DAMAGED TONE WHEEL/FLEX PLATE (CRANKSHAFT)
DAMAGED TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING (CAMSHAFT)
IRREGULAR LAB SCOPE PATTERN OF CMP SIGNAL
INTERMITTENT CKP SIGNAL LOSS WHEN WIRING IS WIGGLED
IRREGULAR LAB SCOPE PATTERN OF CKP SIGNAL
WIRING HARNESS INTERMITTENT
INTERMITTENT CMP SIGNAL LOSS WHEN WIRING IS WIGGLED
SENSOR CONNECTOR/WIRING
SENSOR CONNECTOR/WIRING
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
CKP SENSOR CONNECTOR/WIRING
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport and the check engine light is on with the corresponding code of p 1494
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Whitedog6543
I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport and the check engine light is on with the corresponding code of p 1494
Whitedog6543,

You may want to start a new thread on this. 1494 is a leak detection pump switch or leak detection pump mechanial fault, and really has no association with bnkk's problem.

Cheers