Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch stuck engaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Clutch stuck engaged

Tried searching threads and couldn't find my answer so hopefully someone will be able to help before I tear into the clutch.

Jeep- 92 Cherokee Sport, 4L, 4WD, 300,000 plus miles

Problem: clutch is engaged and is stuck
Wife was driving so I have limited info on what happened when problem started.

When I went to pick up my jeep form the side of the road the clutch pedal was to the floor (and of course she left the lights on so the battery was dead)
Had it towed back to the house and replaced the master cylinder and charged the battery. After bleeding, the clutch pedal seem nice and firm but isn't coming up all the way in travel.
Can start the jeep in gear and still tries to jump forward even with the clutch pedal to the floor. When I was bleeding I couldn't hear the clutch engaging or disengaging.
Internal slave cylinder... what is the chances it is stuck keeping the clutch engaged? Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Sounds like you won't be able to diagnose this without tearing in to it, just bound to be some broken parts.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Get ready to remove the trans, the clutch's normal stat is applied. When the slave cyl extends it pushes againt the pressure plate springs to release pressure "clamping force" on the clutch disc.

Is there any sign of leakage from the bell housing area? after you bled the system did you get any clutch pedal feel back?

Good luck
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch stuck engaged

Did get the clutch pedal back... I thought pretty firm. Going to bleed it more tomorrow to see if maybe there still might be some air in the line after thinking about it.

As far as oil from the transfer case... I am ashamed to say that there is a fair amount of oil blown through the entire underneath from misc leaks... 300,000 plus miles, I just figured I won't be able to stop them all. Need to replace the valve cover/tappet gaskets for a starter. Have them in the back... but they aren't going to stop any leaks until I put them on.

I can say that while bleeding, no oil came from the bell housing, I was watching for any new drips in case the slave had a leak. I did read in one of the posts that you have to bleed the dickens out of the system. We may have just quite too soon.