Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Clutch replacement

Never done a clutch on a 4WD. Any tips or hints? I got to do the clutch on my '91 Cherokee 4.0L.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

It's easy, I've had mine out twice in two years. By myself. Don't bother taking the t-case off, both units combined are not that heavy, I can lift it myself. You have an internal slave cylinder...replace it and make sure you drain all of the clutch fluid, then blow out the line. Inspect the line for damage as it runs pretty close to the exhaust manifold. Mine was fubar. Plug the rear output when you take the rear driveshaft out so you don't lose fluid. Top two bolts on bellhousing are inverted torx. Buy a 3/8 set of those. Be careful with all your connectors, they're old. Remove the down pipe too. Good time to replace tranny oil (Pennzoil synchromesh) and t-case fluids, and rear output seal if its bad. Good time to do u-joints. All 5. Good time to do rear main and oilpan if they're bad.

Pm me if you have ?'s, I'm usually available, and I like to help.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Like Hank said, no big deal. Just time and bolts. I did separate the T-case, working by myself in the mud in a "noteworthy" February day-luge. I had ramps and blocks and a small floor jack/small piece of plywood.

Here's a writeup;

http://borntourist.com/gallery2/v/mo...tch/?g2_page=1

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by hankthetank
It's easy, I've had mine out twice in two years. By myself. Don't bother taking the t-case off, both units combined are not that heavy, I can lift it myself. You have an internal slave cylinder...replace it and make sure you drain all of the clutch fluid, then blow out the line. Inspect the line for damage as it runs pretty close to the exhaust manifold. Mine was fubar. Plug the rear output when you take the rear driveshaft out so you don't lose fluid. Top two bolts on bellhousing are inverted torx. Buy a 3/8 set of those. Be careful with all your connectors, they're old. Remove the down pipe too. Good time to replace tranny oil (Pennzoil synchromesh) and t-case fluids, and rear output seal if its bad. Good time to do u-joints. All 5. Good time to do rear main and oilpan if they're bad.

Pm me if you have ?'s, I'm usually available, and I like to help.
Thanks guys. The rear main was definately on my list as were the output seals. The down pipe might be a challenge. Ive never had good luck with exhaust bolts but Ill start soaking everything with PB 3-4 days before I start. Thanks again!!