Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch Probelms... again... Help she's my DD!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Clutch Probelms... again... Help she's my DD!!

Hey All,

It all started on thursday night, went to pick up the GF from work. I noticed my clucth pedal felt a lil bit low. I had to pull over on the fwy to refill the reservoir cause it wouldn't shift anymore. It was very low but hadn't run out of fluid, once refilled it ran better but still the pedal was low. I haven't noticed any leakage anywhere under my car. All weekend the pedal was low and I had to pump the clutch gain preasure. I noticed if I turned the car off at a stop and restarted it, the clutch gains preasure almost like it resets itself. I put in whole new clutch kit in about 3 or 4 years ago. Not to mention had my AX15 rebuilt and slapped it in last November, so I know it's not my tranny. Any Ideas??? HELP!!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

Slave cylinder might be shot...yours external or internal?

just at thought , mine was, had same symptoms.

good luck!

cpnwrench

:drink
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

Slave cylinder might be shot...yours external or internal?

just at thought , mine was, had same symptoms.

good luck!

cpnwrench

:drink
Thanks for the reply. Mine is internal , I know I can do this job in 4 or 5 hours, but it's just not the funest job. Good thing I have a spare. I bought one from Napa thinking it was bad but it turned out to be something else.

What would I need to make this an external slave?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM

I know it's a PIA, I also re-built the clutch master cylinder whilst I was at it....

I know I am due for a clutch soon.....yuk, dreadin it.

But when I do replace clutch, I am gonna replace the slave cyl and the clutch mast cyl while I am there,,,,maybe have flywheel polished as well I dunno..

As for making the slave cyl external,, the only way I know is put a different trans in it....but I may be wrong.

Wish you well sir! That's my two cents worth of drivel for today!

cpnwrench

Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same thing happen. I caught it before it got quite that bad. Bad slave cylinder. It fell apart when I removed it. Luckily, mine was external.

Just for piece of mind, I replaced the master and slave as a whole prefilled unit. I tend to go overboard when replacing things on this heep. It's piece of mind so I am not doing the same job twice.

Just today I knew I had a problem with either the TPS sensor or the IAC. I couldn't decide, so I just replaced them both. I am sure they were still original. Idles smooth as a kitten now. Piece of mind. I also don't want to have to work on this thing once the snow flies....
Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thezfunk
I had the same thing happen. I caught it before it got quite that bad. Bad slave cylinder. It fell apart when I removed it. Luckily, mine was external.

Just for piece of mind, I replaced the master and slave as a whole prefilled unit. I tend to go overboard when replacing things on this heep. It's piece of mind so I am not doing the same job twice.

Just today I knew I had a problem with either the TPS sensor or the IAC. I couldn't decide, so I just replaced them both. I am sure they were still original. Idles smooth as a kitten now. Piece of mind. I also don't want to have to work on this thing once the snow flies....
Yeah, this will be the 2nd Slave Cylinder in 6 years I've had the car. I've dropped the tranny out a few times, but honesty, this getting to be a pain, considering I just replaced the rear end last month and the month before that the radiator and the month before that the hub assemblies, not to mention I just bought new tires yesterday.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thezfunk

Yup!! like you all said and what I dreaded the most. I was my slave cylinder... again. HAHA! There was a small leak at the bottom of the unit. It must have gotten damaged when my tranny was rebuilt. Good thing I had a spare, those things are notorious for goin out. I just finished cleaning up and took her for a spin. I must say, she shifts like butter now. Cheers Guys!!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM

BRAVO! Glad to hear the good news!

How long did it take you start to finish?

just curious......

any words of wisdom you want to share in the R & R process?

thanks, and good job!

cpnwrench

Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

BRAVO! Glad to hear the good news!

How long did it take you start to finish?

just curious......

any words of wisdom you want to share in the R & R process?

thanks, and good job!

cpnwrench

Thank you!! It's about a 4 hour job. I'm usually pretty fast when it comes to repair, but I started at 6pm & finished at 1am. I didn't have a tranny jack, and my old floor jack is on it's way out, it wouldn't jack all the way up, had to use a few blocks, a couple scissor jacks and jack stands to assist. I've pulled the tranny a few times so I knew what I was in store for. But I'm glad I tackled this before it got worse. Not to mention it just started to rain here in Los Angeles.

As for tips:
1. Drain your tranny first....

2. Make sure you fill the slave with fluid & cap it off so no fluid escapes & no air gets in. I used a small funnel & fuel line, attached it to the line on the slave & the opened up the bleeder screw until the fluid flowed out smoothly. And the closed up it back up and capped the other end with a screw. It made bleeding a piece of cake.

3. Don't try and do this job over a grass patch or dirt like I did hahaha! I had to use some plywood to move the jack around.

4. Take a few asprins after your done, youre gonna need it. I am 33yrs old, 5'6" at 145lbs and I'm feeling it today LOL!!!

Next for me is fixing that god awful sagging headliner HAHA!!

Cheers!!

Last edited by LaredoBucket; 10-04-2011 at 12:47 PM.