Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clutch pressure buildup? need 5spd expert!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default clutch pressure buildup? need 5spd expert!

hi guys, this thread is a followup to my last one about my brand new clutch slipping. my ENTIRE clutch/hydro system is brand new but it seems i'm having problems with the clutch pressure building up after about 15 miles, causing the clutch to start slipping. once it starts slipping i get under the xj, crack the bleeder til a couple drops come out then tighten it back up, at which point the clutch stops slipping until i drive it for another 10 miles or so...

it seems like there is some issue with the clutch pressure not releasing completely and slowly building up until the clutch won't release completely, causing it to start slipping. as i said, everything from the master cylinder to the clutch is brand new, and i have not found any leaks anywhere in the system. the problem is definitely the clutch pressure not releasing for some reason.

has anyone ever heard of this happening or have any idea what might be causing this? i've spent so much damn money on this clutch setup i'm ready to blow my jeep up at this point any help would be immensely appreciated on this one. thanks in advance!

troy
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

sounds like the first thing to try is to bleed it properly, other than that, the master cyl could have a defect in it where it is not letting all of the pressure back off
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Almost sounds like debris in the lines allowing fluid in, but acting like a check valve to keep pressure built up; or your master cyl. or hyd. throwout ist kaput.

Oh, and remember rule #1 when dealing w/ repair shops... ALWAYS ask for your old stuff back. They have to give it to you.

Last edited by BowtieGuy3; 11-13-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0L HO

I had an S10 where the clutch lines ran too close the the exhaust (that was way too hot for other reasons) that caused a similar problem... But I'd say you have a defective "new" part that you installed if you are constantly getting air in the system. It could be something as simple as a bleeder not seating properly.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM

thank you very much for your replies! i never thought of there being debris in the system, but that sounds like it might be possible. the new master is oem, so i'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt at this point. any tips on how to check/clear debris out of the system? thanks again very much for your help guys!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Technically that would be considered a 'comeback' on the repair shops side, id take it back to them and say FIX YOUR F@#K UP!! and they should not charge you again to fix a job done poorly. but if not, you can bleed the clutch master cyl the same way you bleed brakes. just make sure you dont let the reservoir go dry. deff a two person job.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 242 6cyl

Hmm i have a similar problem only mine will lose pressure after about 10 miles of driving or so but i dont know where the bleeder valve is at....
Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM

the work was done on the side by a good friend of mine who is an ase certified mechanic. he's working with me on trying to figure this out, i'm just trying to gather as much info on the problem as i can. thanks to all for your helpful input.

not sure if 97 xj's are the same setup, but on mine the bleeder sticks out of the tranny right next to where the clutch line goes into the tranny. hope that helps.

thanks again to all! i'll keep everyone posted
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM

well we flushed the system backwards out the master cylinder with compressed air going in at the quick connect coupler for the slave cylinder, then refilled and bled the whole system again. it feels good after 15 miles, i'ma go cruisin in a minute to put on another 50 or so miles to see if anything changes. i'll update later tonight as to how it goes. thanks again to all who replied!