Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CLUNKY GEARBOX

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 diesel
Default CLUNKY GEARBOX

Hey guys,i was wodering about the gearbox on my '96 manual 2.5d,when she's cold first to second is a long winded affair,better if i double de-clutch and take it slow,but a quick single clutch change is clunky and a bit agricultural,but when she's warmed up things do get a lot better,is this 'how they are' or is there a decent oil i could try that may ease the change? I know she's a 4 wheel drive and these jeeps are what i call a 'man's motor',and it'll never be like driving a range rover(not that i have a desire to own a range rover!)but i really like this jeep and ive just spent quiet a bit of coin gettig it through the m.o.t. and its coming on great as i'm slowly getting the jobs done,oh the milage is 111,000mls now if that makes a difference,but i'm just trying to 'get to know the car',thanks to the guys that replied to my other post,i resolved the poor starting issue by trying a technique that was suggested on the forum and it worked nice,and the water leak hopefully will stop when i get the windscreen re-glued in....
cheers mick....