Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking noise/feeling when turning wheel + pulling to the right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Clunking noise/feeling when turning wheel + pulling to the right?

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with a 3 in. lift. I recently fixed a death wobble issue it had by putting in a larger track bar bracket bolt and replacing the ball joints. I also replaced the front axle u-joints while I had the jeep apart, and got it aligned afterwards. It was riding and steering very smooth up until I noticed it wants to pull slightly right even when going down a flat, straight stretch of road. When I’m parked and I turn the wheel back and forth, I also noticed a pretty obvious clunking noise/feeling coming from the front, but only when I turn the wheel to the right. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd start with sway bar links/bushings and shock mounting (loose hardware and/or worn bushings) as well as the control arm bushings and go from there. I'd double check that all the hardware involved in the recent front end work is nice and tight.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PatHenry
I'd start with sway bar links/bushings and shock mounting (loose hardware and/or worn bushings) as well as the control arm bushings and go from there. I'd double check that all the hardware involved in the recent front end work is nice and tight.
I double checked and noticed that my upper control arm ends weren’t visible because of a plastic guard under the oil pan. I moved it out of the way and noticed that the bushings dont look very good... probably need to be replaced?
I also popped the hood and checked the steering shaft. I read that you shouldn’t be able to move it with your hands. With one hand, I can twist it about an inch each direction. Should I go ahead and tighten the gearbox after I make sure everything on the suspension is good and tight?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

I would not tighten the gear box yet. First try getting under it and have someone else turn the wheel back and forth. If you can repeat the noise when turning the wheel you should find it. Look at all the ball joints, tie rods, track bar and whatever else moves. I had a clunk for the longest and it was the sway bar links not being tight enough on the bushings.

Of course, take the proper precautions when getting under the Jeep while it is running - chuck the rear wheels, make sure it is in park, and set the parking brake too.