Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Climate Control Doesn't Turn On

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Climate Control Doesn't Turn On

95% sure that there's a switch that's not good anymore. Fuses all look good. Before, it would come on every now and then. It really made my winter pretty upsetting, when I would have to drive 20 miles to and from work, and I would never know if my heat would actually work or not. If slide it through the different modes, sometimes it would cut on, usually on "MAX" under the air conditioning line. And then I'd leave it set (obviously) on hot, and it would work. But sliding it back and forth turned it on immediately 25% of the time. Sometimes I would pull into the parking lot at work, and it would unexpectedly cut on. Which really bummed me out, hahaha.

As I said, I'm 95% sure that it's something behind the slides and and plate, probably a switch. It also only comes on through the dash vents, which is probably just a vacuum leak, which is impossible to test since I can't turn it on anyway. I just wanted y'all's input before I rip my dash apart again. My plastic is starting to get a little weak, and I'm trying not to break it since I have a Briarwood trim, and the wood grain contact paper plastic trim is impossible to find around here.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by 91cherokeeSC
95% sure that there's a switch that's not good anymore. Fuses all look good. Before, it would come on every now and then. It really made my winter pretty upsetting, when I would have to drive 20 miles to and from work, and I would never know if my heat would actually work or not. If slide it through the different modes, sometimes it would cut on, usually on "MAX" under the air conditioning line. And then I'd leave it set (obviously) on hot, and it would work. But sliding it back and forth turned it on immediately 25% of the time. Sometimes I would pull into the parking lot at work, and it would unexpectedly cut on. Which really bummed me out, hahaha.

As I said, I'm 95% sure that it's something behind the slides and and plate, probably a switch. It also only comes on through the dash vents, which is probably just a vacuum leak, which is impossible to test since I can't turn it on anyway. I just wanted y'all's input before I rip my dash apart again. My plastic is starting to get a little weak, and I'm trying not to break it since I have a Briarwood trim, and the wood grain contact paper plastic trim is impossible to find around here.
***1991 Jeep Cherokee I6 4.0 4x4***