Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clicking breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4l
Default Clicking breaks?

Got this clicking sound coming from somewhere, I think it's a wheel. But when I break it makes a kind of loud clicking sound that adjusts to the speed im going. I can feel it under me feet from the drivers seat. I can't locate the sound since I'm driving but i feel it's coming from the back left or front right
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM

This also showed up after I got my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

checked your U joints?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a similar clicking upon braking and upon acceleration. I can feel the click under my brake pedal foot.

Did the usual. Removed the drive shaft and greased the slip yoke. Checked the U joints with the shaft of and they seemed good. New shocks all around.

My next step is to take the driver front wheel off and peek at the caliper. It almost feels like its slipping or something.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
checked your U joints?
My front passenger side u joint is going bad and clicking when I turn. But, this is a new, more audible and annoying, clicking.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
I've got a similar clicking upon braking and upon acceleration. I can feel the click under my brake pedal foot.

Did the usual. Removed the drive shaft and greased the slip yoke. Checked the U joints with the shaft of and they seemed good. New shocks all around.

My next step is to take the driver front wheel off and peek at the caliper. It almost feels like its slipping or something.
I don't have it on acceleration, just braking
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several
Engine: 4.0

BRAKES - not breaks.

"""""This also showed up after I got my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago """""

The idiot didn't tighten them correctly. He didn't slowly snug the lug nuts up to center the wheel, he just hit it with his impact. He warped the rotors or drums. The lug nuts are tapered to center the wheel and prevent warpage.

They may straighten out ok if you loosen them, then tighten them correctly. Like they are now you may even loose a wheel.

Rotating tires won't affect axles, driveshafts or u-joints! Where do these fools get such dumb ideas?

Before someone says it - It doesn't affect the color of the paint either.

Last edited by rrich; 08-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by rrich
BRAKES - not breaks.

"""""This also showed up after I got my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago """""

The idiot didn't tighten them correctly. He didn't slowly snug the lug nuts up to center the wheel, he just hit it with his impact. He warped the rotors or drums. The lug nuts are tapered to center the wheel and prevent warpage.

They may straighten out ok if you loosen them, then tighten them correctly. Like they are now you may even loose a wheel.

Rotating tires won't affect axles, driveshafts or u-joints! Where do these fools get such dumb ideas?

Before someone says it - It doesn't affect the color of the paint either.
Wow someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM

^ was a tip though
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Wrong side of the bed?
I hate it when people that have no clue come up with the most ridiculous ideas. Partly because they don't read the complaint and circumstances, partly because they can't think!

Tell me - Why would the u-joints suddenly act up because the tires were rotated? Please explain!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

rrich always has good info, his delivery is a bit different tho.

From the Wiki:
A "rageaholic", or "anger addict", is a person who gets excited by expressing rage, or a person prone to extreme anger with little or no provocation.[1] While "rageaholic" is not a formal medical diagnosis, it has been developed as a lay psychology term by counselors and anger-management groups seeking to help people who are chronically angry and who compulsively express fits of rage. There are also 12-step programs for dealing with rageaholics, such as Rageaholics Anonymous in Los Angeles, California, United States (US)

A little Thorazine will fix that right up.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
rrich always has good info, his delivery is a bit different tho.

From the Wiki:
A "rageaholic", or "anger addict", is a person who gets excited by expressing rage, or a person prone to extreme anger with little or no provocation.[1] While "rageaholic" is not a formal medical diagnosis, it has been developed as a lay psychology term by counselors and anger-management groups seeking to help people who are chronically angry and who compulsively express fits of rage. There are also 12-step programs for dealing with rageaholics, such as Rageaholics Anonymous in Los Angeles, California, United States (US)

A little Thorazine will fix that right up.
I think we'd make good friends. I hate stupid people too.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Originally Posted by unjustentropy
Got this clicking sound coming from somewhere, I think it's a wheel. But when I break it makes a kind of loud clicking sound that adjusts to the speed im going. I can feel it under me feet from the drivers seat. I can't locate the sound since I'm driving but i feel it's coming from the back left or front right
Steering wheel shake a little when you apply the "brakes"? It may be a warped brake rotor they will make a clicking noise when there warped or hard braking and steering wheel will shake a little side to side. Also check your caliper bolts make sure there tight
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by nickxj94

Steering wheel shake a little when you apply the "brakes"? It may be a warped brake rotor they will make a clicking noise when there warped or hard braking and steering wheel will shake a little side to side. Also check your caliper bolts make sure there tight
Yep will do thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM

Cherokee rotors care fairly thin and weak. They can warp from tightening wrong.
It may be too late - they may already be warped enough to never recover. But it's worth a try to loosen them all the way, then slowly tighten them again.

When warped just a little, it can make a clicking sound. Severely warped they'll pulsate and shake when stopping. Same with drums, although not quite as common.

The OP said it didn't do it until the tires were rotated - wouldn't the logical conclusion be it was tightened wrong?

There are some people on here that absolutely love to steer people in the wrong direction - they love to make others spend needless money and lots of work doing unrelated things. Sadists!

And there are some that are trying to be helpful but have no idea what they are talking about.

And then there are those that don't bother to read the original complaint and information, so they draw the wrong conclusions.

THINK - ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN GEAR!

Quick Reply: Clicking breaks?