Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cleaning Nuetral Safety Switch

Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cleaning Nuetral Safety Switch

I've been posting about starter no crank and no power to the solenoid issue. I want to remove the neutral safety switch and clean it. Is that difficult? Any tips on this? Everyone in his news group has been really helpful.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Fairly easy to do just take the bolts holding it on and gently pry/pull off the trans. i used brake clean and contact cleaner after i pulled it apart there are a couple of springs that are generally slugged up in there they might fly out on you (be carful lightly sand connections and reassemble.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM

Year: 1996

Yeah I did this a month or so ago. Took me better part of an hour. Biggest problem was getting it off. Kept wanting to get stuck right at the end before it slid off. Used a wire brush with some brake cleaner and pb blaster to clean the end and used a scrap piece of metal I had lying around to pry it the rest of the way off. Be gentle with it because it is plastic on the back side. Once it is off, it is simple to disassembly and clean.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM

I put a little di electric grease inside on the arm and contacts before i screwed it back together.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by chip
I put a little di electric grease inside on the arm and contacts before i screwed it back together.
Thanks. I found this link after I posted the question. He mentions that he didn't completely remove the bolt. I'm a bit confused there.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you sure the ignition switch isn't fried?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Year: 1990 , 1997 ,1997, 2000
Engine: 4.0 @5.2
Default nss removal

Hi I just did that on my son`s truck.. That write up was real good I followed it carefully and it worked real well for me.. I think you are getting confused because you do have to remove the one bolt I think it was 12mm not sure it is also the adjustment bolt for start position and reverse lights , and the nut is on the switch it is pretty big I used an adj wrench all I did was loosen that enough to get a flat screwdriver behind the nut and against the lip of the trans pan and real gently pry the switch off the side of the trans.. I did soak it with some pentrating oil before attempting to pry it off and it helped but be very gentile and do not put anything behind switch it is only plastic.. As it started to come off I was able to gently rock if off all the way finally but took some doing to get it off the trans without breaking it.. I then put it on a bench opened as was written full of junk .. , cleaned it as write states and reinstalled it works perfect.. job well done!! just take your time and look at it for a few minutes put some penetrating oil on it and let it work .. good luck.., Bill or Seven
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by seven
Hi I just did that on my son`s truck.. That write up was real good I followed it carefully and it worked real well for me.. I think you are getting confused because you do have to remove the one bolt I think it was 12mm not sure it is also the adjustment bolt for start position and reverse lights , and the nut is on the switch it is pretty big I used an adj wrench all I did was loosen that enough to get a flat screwdriver behind the nut and against the lip of the trans pan and real gently pry the switch off the side of the trans.. I did soak it with some pentrating oil before attempting to pry it off and it helped but be very gentile and do not put anything behind switch it is only plastic.. As it started to come off I was able to gently rock if off all the way finally but took some doing to get it off the trans without breaking it.. I then put it on a bench opened as was written full of junk .. , cleaned it as write states and reinstalled it works perfect.. job well done!! just take your time and look at it for a few minutes put some penetrating oil on it and let it work .. good luck.., Bill or Seven
Success (sort of) ! I removed the Nuetral Safety Switch today and cleaned it up. I could see right away that one of he spring loaded contacts was collapsed inside so it was not making contact. I reassembled it and the jeep started right up. It will start in park, but the shift has to be a pushed little towards reverse to start in neutral. Not sure how to adjust this.
Thanks everyone for helping me with this. I learned a lot about my jeep. This is my project vehicle for when I retire I a few years.
By the way, it was tough getting the NSS out. I didn't want to damage it so I took my time.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Congrats You wil have to turn it slightly foward or back are your reverse lights working ??
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by XJ=mistress
Congrats You wil have to turn it slightly foward or back are your reverse lights working ??
Yes, the reverse lights do work.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by finiteguy
but the shift has to be a pushed little towards reverse to start in neutral. Not sure how to adjust this.
For almost ten years mine is like that. If I park hot, I'm good to go in the AM. If I move it cold, I need to pull the shifter a bit. Doesn't bother me enough to bother to adjust it. Isn't that in the above 4x4 link? Anyway it does adjust for that.

I haven't done one. It seems the smaller bolt with the oblong hole will let you set it so the reverse lights, and "start" works.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 04-21-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by finiteguy
Success (sort of) ! I removed the Nuetral Safety Switch today and cleaned it up. I could see right away that one of he spring loaded contacts was collapsed inside so it was not making contact. I reassembled it and the jeep started right up. It will start in park, but the shift has to be a pushed little towards reverse to start in neutral. Not sure how to adjust this.
Thanks everyone for helping me with this. I learned a lot about my jeep. This is my project vehicle for when I retire I a few years.
By the way, it was tough getting the NSS out. I didn't want to damage it so I took my time.
Yeah had that problem too. You can see where the neutral and park contacts are inside. Try to line them up best you can by remembering where they are when you put the switch back on. Mine was a little off so I had to loosen and adjust it forward a hair and now she fires up in park and neutral just fine.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=finiteguy;2429918]but the shift has to be a pushed little towards reverse to start in neutral. Not sure how to adjust this.QUOTE]

After reading this, I realized you are pushing the shifter forward to make contact. That means your switch is too far up. Sounds like you need to come back a hair. Loosen it and swing it towards the rear of the jeep just a little and see what that does.