Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The Classic "blower motor stays on"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Angry The Classic "blower motor stays on"

I'm sure this has been touched upon a million times already but i have a rather particular situation so i figured id give it a go and see what happens.

It all started with a mess of electrical mishaps, so naturally I went digging around. I have so far replaced the clock spring, ignition switch, blower motor relay, the relay that carries the door dings. Ive also found an aftermarket auto start installed that i have now completely removed from the truck. With that being sad, after hours under the dash yesterday removing the auto start changing relays and trying to track down my problem, I woke up to a FLAT DEAD battery. For whatever reason, when the ignition is off and the key is out, my blower motor still gets power and is able to be turned on. On top of that my horn is constantly having spurts of staying on or beeping without hitting the button. At this point i thought ive fixed everything but clearly i am overlooking something. What could possibly keep the blower motor circuit powered after key is turned off ?

im pretty close to just installing a battery cut off and calling it a day but before doing that hack work id like to take another stab at a proper repair.
Another mention i should include, my steering wheel doesnt "lock" when key is out.

I drive a 2000 cherokee sport.

Last edited by DannyXJ2000; 02-09-2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Sounds like the blower wires got rewired to have permanent power irrespective of the Jeep being on or off. I would start by tracing the blower motor wires/connector and looking for splices. sounds like you have a mess going on.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What kind of "electrical mishaps"?
It would also be an excellent idea to disconnect the battery when this thing is unattended so it doesn't burn to the ground.