Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Chrysler 8.25 Yoke Installation--Using old Yoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Chrysler 8.25 Yoke Installation--Using old Yoke

Ok I have done some searching and research. I have found some very good leads, but nothing sounds close to what I am looking for/at. When I bought my latest Cherokee Sport, the PO had claimed that the pinion nut had come off. I got with the XJ, the rear driveshaft and axle yoke. I also got the bolts and straps to retain the U-joint, which I won't be using. My problem is that I have the old pinion yoke and have to clean it up some, as the PO let it get some rust on the seal area. I am cleaning the surface as good as I can, so that I don't have an issue with the seal leaking. Problem is I have a new pinion nut, and straps for the Ujoints(had to find another driveshaft as the original one had the ears on both the slip yoke and shaft that were all beat up, and I probably wouldn't be able to get the joint out. How should I go about reinstalling, and here is something else. Currently its in 4wd to hold it, as well as the parking brake. Can the yoke be just placed on any which way, since it wasn't marked prior to its deinstallation?? If so, when I tighten down the nut, do I just crank it down as tight as I can with my socket and that's it?? I have a click type torque wrench that is pretty darn accurate, and I wanted to make sure I am not overtightening it or not tightening it enough that it comes loose again. Any thoughts or help here would be awesome. I have several of the other threads I have read up so I have some reference as to what I have found.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I suggest you get a manual and torque it to spec. Do NOT base what to do on what the idiots like me, you and others on these sites post. Yes there are some real experts here. But most of us are just confused Jeep owners.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I have a manual, and it's this preload crap that's confusing me. The manual talks mainly about the front 30 and not much about the rear.

Jeff