Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Chirp/squeal-hard to find

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Chirp/squeal-hard to find

Folks---Maybe this will help one of you one day. My 1998 cherokee had a squeal that most people would have identified as a belt problem--and I honestly couldn't tell that it wasn't. It took me about a year of tinkering and replacing the belt, idle pully an just getting aggrevated. I was actually starting to get ready to replace the water pump and fan clutch before I finaly got lucky.

The bearing in the distributer shaft was the cause. At 180k miles I suppose this is not uncommon but it sounded exactly like a belt chirping and the noise resonates to area around the pulley so it was hard to determine that it was coming from the distributer.

Not hard, but not the easiest thing in the world to replace...$190.00 from advance.

-scott
Old 12-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thanks...I've got a chirp/squeal problem right now...this will help me.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scottm2_99
Folks---Maybe this will help one of you one day. My 1998 cherokee had a squeal that most people would have identified as a belt problem--and I honestly couldn't tell that it wasn't. It took me about a year of tinkering and replacing the belt, idle pully an just getting aggrevated. I was actually starting to get ready to replace the water pump and fan clutch before I finaly got lucky.

The bearing in the distributer shaft was the cause. At 180k miles I suppose this is not uncommon but it sounded exactly like a belt chirping and the noise resonates to area around the pulley so it was hard to determine that it was coming from the distributer.

Not hard, but not the easiest thing in the world to replace...$190.00 from advance.

-scott
Thanks for the information Scott. I have a question though. Would yours stop after it was in a warm place for a bit and start again? I am having the same problem and have already replaced my water pump and idler pulley. The belt is only about 6 months old, that's because it was rotted and needed to be replaced anyway.

Thanks

Wayne