Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee vs grand cherokee???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cherokee vs grand cherokee???

hi all i am not yet a cherokee own but i will be at the end of the year. i have a budget of $13000 so i will be able to aford a grand cherokee (if i want one) i was just wondering what are the main differences between the cherokee and grand cherokee. like; off road ability, size tires that you can fit on stock set up, reliabiliy, what they are like on gas and what you personaly recon would be better. i do a bit of off roading, country driving, city driving and towing me boat.
all coments will be appriciated.
thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Being a Prior owner of a 1988 Cherokee XJ Limi, and a 1993 Grand Cherokee ZJ Base, as well as current owner of a 1997 Chrokee XJ Sport... I would like to give my honest opinion.

Owning both of those types of trucks in the past, cherokee reigns supreme in my books to the off road community. My 1993 ZJ was a wheeler at stock height on 31"s but... it did hang up on the sub-floor a lot... the cherokee however... my 1988 XJ Limi was lifted on 3" with 31"s and UN-CUT fenders, it rubbed the flares somewhat often but trailed really nice. My 1997 is stock on 235's but will have work soon.

creature comforts are all about the smooth ride of the front and rear 4 link suspension of the ZJ, but... the XJ does feel kinda cozy, not cramped, and fits better in the bush for me than the ZJ.

Overall... you hafta ask if you are going to be spending more time off or on road with this truck, more off? XJ, more on? ZJ

Thats just my 2 cents though. Have fun in your ventures in buying your soon to be new or previously loved Jeep
Old 10-02-2008, 03:31 AM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

i agree 100 % with liquid hat, I have owned a 94 grand cherokee limited 4.0 and a 93 grand cherokee limited with 3 inch spacers and 32 inch tires..

i just recently purchased a 88 cherokee with a 4.5 inch lift and lockers....

grand cherokee is luxury, cherokee is less luxury but way more off road capable(especially with the huge aftermarket of parts available)... not to say the zjs didnt get their fair share of off roading, but they are more delicate and not as off road oriented... for example, I hit a rock goin 50 km/hr in the cherokee and only knocked the toe out a little, whereas in the grand the exact same situation i bent a lower control arm almost in half...

depends what you want! luxury/ comfort vs. something more capable off road?