Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Track Bar Concern-- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Track Bar Concern-- HELP!

I am driving an 88 cherokee laredo, 4.0. So I've had a HUGE problem with loose steering lately, and noticed that the ball joint is really bad on the track bar. I would have loved to just replace the ball joint, however its all one piece i've found out. I went to my local U-Pull-It yard (im strapped on cash) and found quite a few cherokees with the same exact bar on a few cherokees in the yard. The issue is, that these cherokees are 1992. The track bar looks IDENTICAL to the one in my 88 cherokee.
When I got back home, I double checked with local stores to see if it was the same part number and/or bar from the 88-92. Come to find out, they are a different part number. However like I stated earlier, they are EXACTLY the same. I was not able to measure the length of it, so I'm unsure if that is what the difference is but it looks as if it mounts exactly the same, with the bolts located in the same exact spot both on axle and frame.
Does anybody know if there is an actual difference between the two bars, or if they will fit my vehicle either way?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by viper122
I am driving an 88 cherokee laredo, 4.0. So I've had a HUGE problem with loose steering lately, and noticed that the ball joint is really bad on the track bar. I would have loved to just replace the ball joint, however its all one piece i've found out. I went to my local U-Pull-It yard (im strapped on cash) and found quite a few cherokees with the same exact bar on a few cherokees in the yard. The issue is, that these cherokees are 1992. The track bar looks IDENTICAL to the one in my 88 cherokee.
When I got back home, I double checked with local stores to see if it was the same part number and/or bar from the 88-92. Come to find out, they are a different part number. However like I stated earlier, they are EXACTLY the same. I was not able to measure the length of it, so I'm unsure if that is what the difference is but it looks as if it mounts exactly the same, with the bolts located in the same exact spot both on axle and frame.
Does anybody know if there is an actual difference between the two bars, or if they will fit my vehicle either way?
to my knowledge they are the same exact thing , maybe the newer years they changed up the ball joints or something and gave them a diff part number
Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

If it's the same shape and length then it should fit. The only issue might be the end that mount to the frame may be different. I think the previous poster is right about them being the same. I don't think they changed at all.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

i have an 01 trac bar on my 92 if that helps
Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 liter K&N intake, Hushpower 40 series exhaust

You are safe if the track bar is very near the same length. Even if it is off the jeep will still drive down the road fine the axle just wont be centered. I have an adjustable one that I change all the time trying to center my front axle and it never seems to affect how it rides or handles. Hope that helps.