Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee starts with jump box, not cables?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee starts with jump box, not cables?

Hi all. I have a 1989 Cherokee Pioneer that has been having some issues starting lately. It will crank but won't fire. I tried using jumper cables to another car to start it which didn't work, however when a jump box was used by the towing company it started right up. The driver was pretty adamant that my starter solenoid was the issue. It then ran fine for about a day and then wouldn't start again.

The alternator and ignition coil are new and I got my battery replaced just now as it was free. Still didn't solve the problem. I got it towed to my mechanics who said he jumped it from the starter solenoid and then it started right up. I haven't driven it since then for fear of being stranded again. We already ruled out fuel delivery as the issue.

The NSS has been iffy in the past, only allowing me to start in neutral sometimes. My mechanic thinks that is the issue, but I disagree. The jeep will only crank in park sometimes, just like it did in the past. But it will crank in neutral every time, it just won't fire in either park or neutral. That ieads me to believe something else is the issue. I have been reading about the CPS being the issue but I am having a bastard of a time locating it, and my mechanic didn't even seem to know what that was when I asked him. Thank you for the input!

Last edited by GhettoChupacabra; 05-04-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yea, if it's cranking it's not the EDIT! NSS. It does need to crank over 300 RPM.

If you click on my Sig, right on top is a link to Cruiser's tips. He has more on the CPS.

Anyone with an 87 to 90 Renix Jeep has two or three minutes to see that their
CPS is putting out at least .35 AC volts. I don't mean to come off rude, but if you can't connect a meter and turn the key, we may not be much help.
AC voltage CPS test; Small clips on the meter leads really helps. (you need contact with those little pins while it cranks)

Unplug the connector at the back of the manifold with wires going down to the bell-housing/cps. (it's a three wire plug, with only two wires)
Probe the two wires to the cps with the meter set on AC volts. (a 200 scale on mine).
Crank the engine and note the voltage. (jump it if your battery is low)

Mine somehow works with only .3 my wiring/grounds must be pretty spiffy. .5 seems to be a good mark. One article talked of .5 to .8. **Update, it soon failed. I installed Napa #css980 in my 90, that part will work back to 87. You can also check for 200 Ohm's resistance, +/-- 75, but the ACV is what the ECU is using.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check battery connections.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Getto, my apologies! "Yea, if it's cranking it's not the NSS." I meat to write.
Hope I didn't mess you up too much!